Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Thank you in advance... 988 Ford F250 with a 5.8l fuel

Customer Question
I need help. Thank you...
I need help. Thank you in advance...
988 Ford F250 with a 5.8l fuel injected...
1988 Ford F250 with a 5.8l fuel injected engine and 5 speed manual transmission.
Here are the symtoms: truck starts and idles fine when it's normal temps outside. It is a little harder to start when it's really cold and at first idles a little rough. I think this is just the temp outsidebothering it. My main issue is, when I turn on the heater the truck shakes and almost dies it at an idle. I can give it gas and it kinda cleans up but once I let off. It starts to shake and idle is rough again.
I've replaced alternator, battery and cleaned the IAC.... Here is the strange part but I'm sure it's the problem solver. If I remove the drive belt and use the heater. It does not affect the truck at all. There is no ac compressor on truck. It has ps/wp/alt/ap. I'm guessing it's a vacuum line or vacuum controlled part that is my issue. Just not sure which one or where to start.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
4/1/2018
Auto Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Thank you Gene.

Hello, for the cold start you can have an issue with the engine coolant temperature sensor not reading correctly and dumping too much fuel, or you have a fuel injector leaking down and it is flooding a cylinder when cold and causing the hard start. The first thing I would do is see if any codes are stored by jumping the diagnostic connector as shown in the attached file and count the check engine light. The running without the belt doesn't make sense unless one of the belt driven parts is hanging up, the air pump is the most common culprit of being seized or dragging but check them all. If any code are stored let me know and we can go over them from there.

How do I know when each code reading is done. For instance I got 2 flashes in a row. Then a 5 second pause. Then 2 then long pause then 1.
I'm more concerned about the heater issue. Is there a way to test the ap
How can I test the IAC?

The heater issue may be related and this is the first thing you do, if the engine is stalling as I mentioned check the pullies for binding and check to see if any codes stored are pointing to a stalling issue. The codes will repeat when done.

A quick test of the iac is to see if the idle drops or engine goes to stall when you unplug it, but this will set a code when you disconnect it.

There is barely a drop at all. Can hardly even notice it. Also when testing with voltmeter it's the same voltage if the heater is on or off.
If I took the belt off should it be harder to turn the AP when heater is on, or same as it it's not.

I would replace the iac valve and retest it, preferably with a ford one, it might cost a little more, but the aftermarket ones can cause issues/made cheaply. the heater shouldnt affect air pump operation at all

F=flag
. = Pause. (so one . Would be a short time between flashes 2 would be longer pause)
F. . F.F. . . F. . . F.F. . . F.F
Did this make sense. That was all that it did.
F=flash

Sounds like there is a code 21 for the engine coolant temp sensor. Code 22 is for the MAP sensor if it has a MAP sensor. This can cause a stalling under a load as well if there is an issue with the MAP. I would replace the IAC valve, disconnect the battery to clear codes. Operate the vehicle until it gets to normal operating temperature. If it still has an issue, retest for codes. If it resets a code 22, replace the MAP.

code 22 would blink 2 times, pause a second and blink 2 times again. then a longer pause and on to the next code if one is stored.

Do you need more help with this concern?

I replaced IAC, no different

Then I would clear and recheck to see if the map sensor is flagging a fault, do you see the rpm drop with the new iac unplugged?

What about my throttle body sensor.

Only if it set a tps sensor code, the wiring looks damaged to it or you have a flat spot in the throttle.

Is there a way to test AP? Like I said it runs fine without the belt on.

Either it is pushing air or it isnt, thats pretty much how it works. The heater should not affect the air pump. Its not commanding a higher rpm when turning on the heater.

Gene I'm going to catch up with you on Monday. Is that ok? Enjoy the holiday,

Absolutely, have a nice Easter.