Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My timing belt broke on my 1994 Suzuki 1.6 16 v I was only…

Customer Question
My timing belt broke...

My timing belt broke on my 1994 Suzuki 1.6 16 v I was only going 25 mph 2000 rpm and it stopped like it ran out of gas

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

The belt needed replacement I craned it over and I could not start it so I tore the front of timeing cover replaced the belt tensioner set it to TDC on number 4 cyl cam marks lined up crank marks lined up did a compresson test all cyls shot up to 165-180m no strange noises distrubitor was on number 4 cyl it had not been removed fired it up and it cranked over like it wanted ti start and wouldn't catch .

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '16 Suzuki?

Its a 86 samurai with a 16 v 1994 sidekick 1.6 mfi engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sidekick yourself? What have you tried so far?

Like I said the belt broke didn't pull distributor out at all put #4 piston tdc and cam E and notches lined up 12 oclock

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should it be on number one cyl the distrubitor

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Auto Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, if you are on TDC of cylinder number 4, the distributor should point to number 4. Do you have a good blue spark and fuel pressure, injector pulse?

its got fuel ...spark I cranked it over with # 1 spark plug out and watched it shoot a spark across the electrode what is the firing order my dist cap only shows #1

It is an interference engine you sure the timing belt is aligned correctly and you have good compression. TDC on the crank should should number on the distributor when the number one cylinder is on tdc of the compression stroke.

I put it at tdc on number 4 cyl and the distributator was at number 4 position the rotor ll valves are closed

Is number 4 on the compression stroke when you do so. We typically look for the engine oto be on number one cylinder compression stroke when checking the timing belt.

the e and notch on the camshaft line up 12 oclock the crank pully is at 12 oclock and the number 4 piston is at tdc with the valves closed the distrubitor was not removed and I did a compression check all four cylenders after 5 revolutions were around 160-170 pounds the motor burns oil a bit the compression should be at 185 -200 if new

Is number 4 on the compression stroke when you do so.

It should be timed correctly then from what you are saying. The procedure calls for it to be on number 4 on the compression stroke. Did you inspect the spark plugs for damage? They are gapped properly. are they fouling out with fuel when you crank it over?

tdc all valves are closed I have the valve cover off so I can see where the valves are on the cam lobes and they are all closed ready to fire

By all accounts it should run if you got good compression a good blue spark and injector pulse/fuel delivery. I will opt out and see if another expert can be of more assistance.

look it was running then it stopped like no fuel no strange noises just died .again what is the firing order on the distrubiter cap
the belt broke changed the belt/ tensioner new plugs does it need to be on # 1 cyl tdc instead and the distributor rotor at # 1 position .ohh did the compression test with the accelerator down open
no plug damage no oil fouling could it be the ignitor /coil its an obd 1 engine no points
even if it bent a valve it would still fire up and miss .but it acts kike it wants to start I moved the distributor advance and retard got worse .
I am not satisfied with my answers did not solve my problem