Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1990 isusi p/u 4 wd 2.6. it will start then it seems like…

Customer Question
1990 isusi p/u 4...

1990 isusi p/u 4 wd 2.6 . it will start then it seems like its starving for gas. I replaced fuel filter and pump, spark splugs.. with no changes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

1990 isuzi p/u 4wd 2.6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced fuel filter and pump, spark plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck will crank but then it stalls like its starved for fuel

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
3/29/2018
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st suggest to remove the air intake pipe and check that the throttle is opening fully, if this is OK then remove the air filter and inspect it

you can also try running the truck briefly without the filter to see if it helps

Ideally you should also measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

If none of these makes any difference then I'd do a compression check to see if the base engine is healthy and if that’s OK then get the fuel pressure checked at the injector rail with the engine running. This last one will show if the electric fuel pump and regulator are in good condition

The last thing to try is removing the exhaust downpipe to inspect the catalyst as these can sometimes have collapsed and block the exhaust pipe which then chokes the engine.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt