Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My honda civic will not go into gear when sitting on the…

My honda civic will...

My honda civic will not go into gear when sitting on the ground but will when its on a lift

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is as old as the car and not sure if the break switch has been checked

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Civic?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it is in the shop but I have been working with them. replaced the clutch. master cylinder ball joints bled it twice.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont know what else to say I am at a loss

3/29/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
fire away

How long has this been going on? Does it grind when trying to shift?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No , When its up on the lift it shifts smooth the car runs great No it dosent grind.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The cluch went out so I had it replaced.

Ok there are a couple of things I want you to try so I can get a better feel at my end what is happening. When on the floor engine off can you shift gears? or is it just when running this happens?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Im not sure. As far as I know its when it is running.

Ok is it hard going into first gear or all gears?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
all gears

Ok if it goes into gear not running on the ground but not when running it can be a couple of things . either the clutch is not releasing properly or the pilot bearing is seized and spinning the trans to fast. Did anyone check the clutch fork travel? What where all the parts that were replaced when you had the clutch done?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
clutch, pressure plate, throw out baring, clutch master cylinder.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
not sure on the clutch fork travel.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Pretty sure we replaced the pilot berring

question , I know you replaced the clutch probably because it was slipping right , but did you have any shift problems like your having now before you replaced the clutch?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No I was driving and had to stop at a light and it started to buck and did not want to shift and killed the engine so I costed off the road

aw that sounds like the sifter fork is bent or the hydraulics buggered up so this is why checking the fork travel is important. Also do a leak-down test , hold the clutch down to the floor and see if it holds the fork at that setting or it leaks back. Could you do these tomorrow and get back to me with the results so we can continue?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sounds like a plan thanks

tomorrow then , G/N

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Good Evening. Did the check for the fork travel it holds , no leak in the line No air bubbles Shiftier fork not bent. Could it be the shift cables? they are the only thing that has not been replaced.

I would not think the cables but you can disconnect them and shift to see if they move free, also you can shift the leavers at the trans and see if they shift free without the cables attached As you stated earlier you said when at a stop light it would pull the engine RPM down to stall. I will bet my hind teeth that the clutch is not releasing when it does that..

did this start acting up right after the clutch was replaced?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
You can shift with out the cables attached.

sure just by using the shift levers the cables attach to. Lest go back to square one, as you said it shifted fine before replacing the clutch so I am logically thinking something was noy put in correctly or possibly wrong part.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Will look at it again monday. Happy Easter

will check back on your notes Monday evening ,Happy Easter to you and yours!

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Hi, ok had to take it apart again and carefully check every moving part. Fork not bent but pivot ball, clip and fork very sloppy. We are replacing them now. Everything else is great or replaced. Parts all match.

it DON'T TAKE MUCH AND WHEN YOUR IN THERE REMEMBER TO MAKE SURE THE CLUTCH DISC IS FACING THE RIGHT WAY , CHEERS

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician