Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My wife's Acura mdx had an alternator replaced, as well as…

Customer Question
My wife's Acura mdx...

My wife's Acura mdx had an alternator replaced, as well as the serpentine belt. Before this, the ac worked great. After the alternator and belt replacement, the ac no longer works, at all. It blows air, but not cold air. The fans are moving, but I don't think the ac clutch is engaging. I've checked for unplugged or loose wires/hoses and I've checked fuses. I took out the clutch relay and shook it but it didn't rattle like I read it would if it has blown

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your ZDX?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ZDX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I took it to a shop and he said the belt was routed correctly and that nothing looked out of place on the outside of the compressor. He said it was too cold that day for ac testing to diagnose the issue. I'm in FL on vacation and it's hot and if there's any simple solutions that I can check myself maybe there's something I can do

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Car
3/29/2018
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

When you took it to the shop did they ck the freon level? When the alternator was replaced, they might have disconnected one of the ac hoses and not recharged the system properly.

I hooked up one of those DIY recharges and the pressure level was in the normal range. I added a quarter of the can anyway and it didn't make any difference. Should I add more?

No, don"t add any more, until you are sure that the compressor is coming on. When you turn on the ac do the fans kick on? I know it is hard to see but can you tell if the compressor is coming on? If you get someone to turn the ac on and you listen under the hood can you hear the compressor click on?

.