Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The RPM on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo fluctuate and…

The RPM on my...

The RPM on my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo fluctuate and then the truck shuts off while im driving it. No fault codes are coming up and I've already checked the battery all hoses and all connection and so far nothing. Can you help me?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its only happened a few times. I checked all the hoses and all electric connections and everything looks fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope just that

3/28/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Can you describe the fluctuation? Is it like the RPM basically drops all the way to zero then back up to where it belongs or higher on the guage even though clearly the engine rpm hasn't dropped off to zero?I'm thinking the crankshaft position sensor may be faulty because it would cause a condition like I described above, basically where the RPM is showing incorrectly, or jumping around in a manner the engine couldn't possibly be functioning in due to inertia.Then the engine will shut down because of the lack of crank signal.Does the vehicle immediately restart?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
what you described above it basicly what happens. And no, the truck takes a minute to restarts.
Replace the crankshaft position sensor that should fix it.
The crankshaft position sensor will be on the engine block like right above the oil pan near the back of the engine kind of by the transmission bolted with one bolt.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks will try that.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician