Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I am told Audi S6 brake rotors can not be turned and must be…

I am told Audi...

I am told Audi S6 brake rotors can not be turned and must be replaced, is that true?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?

52K miles and it is a 2009 or 2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, the light went on to replace brake pads and the repair shop said with German cars rotors can not be turned

3/28/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

The brake rotors have a minimum thickness, if they are at or below this or if they are so close they can't machine them without them being below the limit, then they would need to be replaced. It's not unusual for the brake pads to wear the rotors and looking at the spec it's very close on these. I suspect that can't be machined without going below the min spec.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks. Does $1500 to replace rotors sound reasonable to you?

There are several different options, the most expensive I am seeing from the factory run about $185 for the front per rotor and $115 in the rear per rotor. I believe the price is way out of the ballpark to be honest. For that kind of money they must be doing a caliper service and replacing the brake pad?

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They said brake pad yes. Thanks for your help.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Labor is $560 for pads and rotors front and rear.

You are very welcome, all 4 rotors and pads all around with the labor should come into about that ballpark to be honest.

Thank you very much for the rating!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
One last question, they also said it needs two front struts and mounts and rear shocks and mounts with four wheel alignment alignment for $2200. Does that sound reasonable?

The price isn't out of line, but I would hold off on that, 52K unless the car is banging and clanking over bumps and bouncing like mad, it really doesn't "have" to have them yet. They should be good for another 20-30k to be honest.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks.

You're very welcome!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician