Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I believe my return spring in my clutch broke off yesterday…

I believe my return...

I believe my return spring in my clutch broke off yesterday landed on my foot and I'm able to drive but it concerns me

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Clutch is really easy to pull back on say minor slipping in any I just might be there to sing it or might be excessively tired because I just got done work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

I apologize I'm doing voice to text there's a lot of give in the clutch I'm not sure if it's slipping or if I'm just really tired and noticing everything

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Saturn?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything happened on my way to work yesterday afternoon at 2:30 just got done 8 a.m. I'm hopeful it's a simple fix or okay to drive like this because I have many things I need to do the next couple days

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm the original owner I replace the clutch at a hundred and eighty eight thousand miles hot I now have two hundred sixty five

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

What model is your Saturn please?

If it's in gear, and you try to take off does the engine rev without the car moving from the stop?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago

Ion

And no car goes

Ok, thanks for the info, please give me just a moment. From the sounds of it, you should be able to just replace the spring. The clutch pedal should return on it's own because of the pressure from the pressure plate. If the clutch isn't slipping then the clutch itself is fine. The clutch pedal will be much easier to push without the spring on it, but you should be able to drive the car without any problems. I just want to see if I can find any info on that spring for you. Give me just a moment.

Thanks.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 25 days ago

Thanks !

Ok, from what I can see here in the diagram the spring should not be able to drop out all together. I would look up under the dash and see if there is a problem with the bushings and the pivot for the clutch pedal, if there is then you will want to replace the clutch pedal which I can give you instructions for. Like I said, the pedal is going to return just from the force of the pressure plate and shouldn't allow the clutch to slip on you. Here is the diagram of the spring on the pedal, if you need more instructions as far as changing the pedal you let me know.

You're very welcome and thank you for the rating!

That is indeed the clutch return spring.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician