Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2000 suzuki esteem starting problems

Customer Question
2000 suzuki esteem starting problems
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Car
3/28/2018
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 25 days ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does it not turn over or does it turn over but not start?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi Dan this is also Dan.
The problem..I have replaced most of the sensors related to ignition and fuel systems.ones not replaced are crank sensor,fuel pump,pump regulator/ line sensor(back at tank)' and transmission sensors.thing is the car kicks over but then die,remove the fuel pump fuse and starts and runs great til line is out of fuel...wtf

That is a little odd but that alone doesn't mean too much I don't think. Is it setting any codes?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Not setting any codes

Have you tried to see if you can keep it running on starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
it will

What is fuel pressure?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
60+

Have you checked injector pulse?

Manual says pressure should be 38-44 psi so that seems way too high.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok one other thing I haven't done.would that really mess with the fuse situation?

The fact fuel pressure is so high I think might be something to look into a little more. Have you tried to keep it running by removing/reinserting fuse?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My manual says up to 60

Also have you tried unplugging the mass airflow sensor to see if that helps?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
To much delay inserting fuse to keep it running but it did just run by itself just now at an idle but does when you give it fuel

Have you unplugged mass airflow sensor to see if it will run?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Doesn't have MAF has MAP and does immediately when unpluged

My manual is showing it has a maf, here is a picture. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69pw9qujx5diuuf/maf.PNG?dl=0

If no maf, let me know what vin is. Also, have you tried unplugging the tps to see if it helps?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok that is where my TPS is next to that is the idle control valve the MAS is at the other end of the intake just above the EVAP control module

Have you tried to unplug the tps? What is your vin? Thanks

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok vin js2gb3153y5182050

Did you try to unplug the tps?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Been fighting this thingfor awhile after downloading manual it says not to try diagnostics in temperature under 68 degrees

I hear ya, this doesn't sound like a really simple diagnosis either. Did you try to unplug the tps to see if it helps?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No effect unplugging TPS

Did problem happen all at once or slowly get worse?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Here it is .got it from neighbor lady.she was driving it.said it was looking power. I started it and it would barely move when floored like 2 mph let it sit removed exhaust clears converter then wouldn't start that's when I started replacing sensors
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Throttle sensor, crank sensor MAP sensor and Tran sensor only ones not replaced

A clogged converter was something that came to mind. Have you verified converter is clear?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Cleared both.I got the car just as temp outside started dropping below 0

Next things I'd try to do is remove front oxygen sensor from exhaust to see if it runs with oxygen sensor completely removed. And unplug each injector 1 at a time to see if it runs with any of them unplugged. If injectors have internally shorted it can cause symptoms you are having. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Yep will do I'm just tired of throwing money and time at this have better rigs to work on don't hurt to ask if someone has answers
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I'm familiar with older no computer mechanics trying to Cath up with the tech

This isn't a easy one. So far I'm thinking problem is injector, ground, camshaft position sensor, wiring, or ECM. I'm trying to help you narrow down as many as possible. Here is also a picture of ground, ground 13 and 14 are the important ones. Let me know how it goes when you get around to checking the things I mentioned. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqr5gs7wkcv5xsw/groundss.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hey cool thanks yes it is a strange one your not the only one I have in this think tank but appreciate input will let you know progress,many mechanics friends have no easy answers either lol

I'm happy to help, keep me updated and if all tests good we will move onto some other options like testing injector pulse.

Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 22 days ago

Any update on testing?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I got to the grounds suggested In process found hole in radiator so removed that and repairing.also come to find that the driver side airbag had deployed at sometime they hide it pretty good but still should have noticed the duct tape in the steering wheel no noticeable front end damage passenger airbag still intact and found someone was messing with the ECM (comp).it was loosely hanging in position all these thing I was not aware of and have no way of finding anymore info on vehicle .I have the o2 sensors and TPS on the way which leaves the injectors to test

Sounds good, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Hey Dan,ended up being the MAP .It's running ,not good but I can work with it now .thanks again,
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 13 days ago

Good to hear, getting bad parts off the shelf doesn't make things any easier. THanks for update. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician