Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 02 ford ranger having spongy brake pedel. I bleed…

I have a 02...

I have a 02 ford ranger having spongy brake pedel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i bleed all the lines and change the abs modulater and pump stil spongy

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

There better in revers a littel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes i have and no squeacking

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
k

How did you bleed the brakes after replacing the ABS module .

Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
the way u always do
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
buy the calipers and the wheel cyileners

So you did not use the scan tool to bleed the ABS hydraulic control unit .

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no my repare manual didnot say i had to i only have a cheap scan tool
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i change all this stuff on my dads 02 and his work grate

If the hydraulic control unit is replaced this has to be bleed first, then the conventional bleeding sequence .

other wise you are always going to have spongy brakes .

If you just replace the calipers etc every thing lower than the module you can bleed as always .

but if the master cylinder runs dry so is the module then here you will need the scan tool .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok well i had spongy brake way before changeing that

Can you pump up the brakes hard with the engine OFF .

and if you let go and pump again a few seconds later is it still hard or spongy again .

Greg

and you got disc or drums on the back .

Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i can it take 2-3 pump with engine off never try to do it a little after
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
drums
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
they do work a lot better in revers\

Okay lol , adjust the rear shoes this is your play ,your workshop manual will explain how.

If still having the same issue you will need to bleed with the scan tool .

Don't adjust to tight as they will bind when the brakes get hot, always back off 4 -5 clicks .

Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok i will try that tomarow

Cool ,after rating 5 starts you can get back to me anytime any day with out any extra charges .

Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
what type of scan tool do i need and what is the cheapest
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
how do i do that

you working just on your own car or others as well Family buddies etc .

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
an yes

okay you willing to drop out $850 us .

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no

whats your max you want to invest

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
idk whats the cheapest

Let me check but over $300 .

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
k not realy a good price for me

let me check with my scan tool guy .

Greg

For the money you are getting way more than you can wish for on this tool .

recommend this one highly .

Please click >>>here<<< this one can do it all for brakes ansd airbags and more

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
dose the truck need to be runing or off to bleeds these brakes it dose not say in my book
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i did it when it was runing

engine OFF not running .

Greg

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok

let me know how you get on .

Greg

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have not done anything with it yet it's raining here
No problem question will stay open for you . We have time .
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I buddy and me did take it for a long drive the pedal is there after pumping it up once
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
He thinks it just needs to be bled more and rear adjusted

Adjust the rear brakes first this will take a lot of play out .

test then bleed if needed.

Get on to a dirt road and hit the brakes to activate the ABS ,this will also help push air out of the system .

Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician