Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

How can I reduce smoke in exhaust from a car that is burning…

How can I reduce smoke...
How can I reduce smoke in exhaust from a car that is burning oil?
I think I've been burning oil for almost a year, but only this winter started seeing white smoke on cold morning start ups.
I'm using 20% Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak for a few weeks now, wondering if I need to use a higher percentage of this.
3/28/2018
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

What make and model vehicle do you have and what is the approximate mileage? thank you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.7L
260K miles

Alright, it's not uncommon for these 2.7L to use some oil at that mileage, my suggestion is No Smoke, it's a thick oil additive that actually coats the cylinder walls and a bottle of engine restorer, it helps seal the rings and can increase compression and help on oil consumption as well. As long as it's not leaking externally, then I believe those two additives will help. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Has the smoke got anything to do with the exhaust system and the catalytic? Possibly that has been subjected to so much abuse with the burning oil that it's shot.
What's the the reason for the smoke?

Does it use oil in between oil changes? or does it ever run hot?

Catalytic converters won't smoke by themselves, nothing in the converter to produce smoke, it is burning something, the only time I've seen a catalytic converter smoke, was when something like a plastic bag was stuck to it.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Was thinking that a catalytic no longer functioning properly could be failing to clean the smoke.
The engine doesnt run hot, but uses oil.
Probably a quart a week.

Does it leak externally? oil?

A catalytic converter converts oxides of nitrogen or NOX and carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. it's function is to help clean the by products of fuel combustion, It doesn't have the capability to not let oil smoke, (or anti freeze smoke) through it.

If your using that much oil and it's not leaking externally, You may have valve stem seals that have failed or a head gasket issue, or the rings, that's really the only two ways oil can get in the cylinder. Unless it's a turbo engine, and this one is not.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I had two failing valve cover gaskets and I replaced those about 6 weeks ago.
I still am using oil. Oil loss outside the engine is greatly reduced.
Definitely burning though as evidenced by the white smoke correct?
I'm leaning toward valve stems.
I still get decent mileage if that is an indication of anything.

Yes, it's burning through as you are having to add more oil than you should. Decent mileage likely means the compression is still good so the rings are likely ok. I would try that no smoke and engine restorer and see if that helped. I believe it will some.

Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician