Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My ABS light staying on. No problem with brakes. It can’t…

My ABS light staying...

My ABS light staying on. No problem with brakes. It can’t pass State Inspection with light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

2001 L200

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your L200 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven’t tried anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes just the ABS light

3/27/2018
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

The most common cause of rge ABS light coming on is a failing wheel speed sensor. When it fails, a diagnostic trouble code is set and the light is turned on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to sell my Saturn to my son. It’s due for oil change and State Inspection but won’t pass bc ABS light stays on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read that it may just need to be reset and suggestion was to disconnect battery for a short time. Does that make sense?

Do this: Ask your local auto parts store to connect their scan tool to the vehicle and read the ABS codes. Then you will know which sensor needs to be replaced. Now it may be another sensor or the ABS module, but the trouble code will tell you which sensor is acting up. Most auto parts stores will check this for no charge. Just call them first to be sure they have a scan tool that will read ABS codes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’ll try that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has done this in the past and the light shuts off after a period of time

Probably an intermittent issue with a sensor.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If that’s th case is it an expensive fix?

Not really, figure $250.00 parts and labor.

Chris

Thank you! I can keep this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s a lot when the car is only worth about $500
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve never used this service before please tell me how I can ask you a question tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
without paying $5 again

I will keep it open for you. Just reply back to me like you are doing now.

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.

My pleasure!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought this session was only $5 but I see that my credit card was charged $5 and then $21 after I rated your service. An I get a $21 credit please?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can not An

I just contract with just answer and do not have the ability to issue refunds. I believe your $5.00 was a deposit, and then when you accept an expert's answer, the remaining amount is then charged. Thank you again, and I will keep an eye out for your follow up question(s) tomorrow.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician