gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have been having the check engine light come on and off

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hello, I have been having the check engine light come on and off since 2015( I own a 2013 VW Passat SE) when I purchased my vehicle, but it always resolved over time after re-tightening the fuel cap. I even had my fuel cap replaced by you guys last summer, which seem to help. Last week I experienced my vehicle having issues accelerating with the check engine light now doing a little different activity, flashing. I did a little research and replaced my purge valve solenoid (on 3/22/2018), which seem to have resolved the issue until today (3/27/2018). The engine began to run lean which caused the EPC light as well as the flashing check engine light come on. I got a diagnostic at a local auto parts store, which gave me 2 codes, P0456 & P0302. The P0456 is the same code I had seen previously but the P0302 had never occurred. I addressed that code by replacing the #2-cylinder coil as well as replacing the sparkplug with new. This seem to have stopped the engine from running rough as well as the EDC light went off however, I could still feel a little hesitation. I watched the gauges and saw it moved from the middle maker of 190 to slightly above (not staying just going back and forth).JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?Customer: It does bothJA: What is the model of your '15 VW?Customer: I have 2013 VW Passat SEJA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: Hello, I have been having the check engine light come on and off since 2015 when I purchased my vehicle, but it always resolved over time after re-tightening the fuel cap. I even had my fuel cap replaced by you guys last summer, which seem to help. Last week I experienced my vehicle having issues accelerating with the check engine light now doing a little different activity, flashing. I did a little research and replaced my purge valve solenoid (on 3/22/2018), which seem to have resolved the issue until today (3/27/2018). The engine began to run lean which caused the EPC light as well as the flashing check engine light come on. I got a diagnostic at a local auto parts store, which gave me 2 codes, P0456 & P0302. The P0456 is the same code I had seen previously but the P0302 had never occurred. I addressed that code by replacing the #2-cylinder coil as well as replacing the sparkplug with new. This seem to have stopped the engine from running rough as well as the EDC light went off however, I could still feel a little hesitation. I watched the gauges and saw it moved from the middle maker of 190 to slightly above (not staying just going back and forth).JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: if you send all the data i just sent
Category: Car
Expert:  eric remington replied 7 months ago.
I would be happy to discuss over phone
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 7 months ago.

Are you still looking for assistance with this issue?