Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have been having the check engine light come on and off…

Hello, I have been having...

I have been having the check engine light come on and off since 2015 when I purchased my vehicle, but it always resolved over time after re-tightening the fuel cap. I even had my fuel cap replaced by you guys last summer, which seem to help.
Last week I experienced my vehicle having issues accelerating with the check engine light now doing a little different activity, flashing. I did a little research and replaced my purge valve solenoid (on 3/22/2018), which seem to have resolved the issue until today (3/27/2018). The engine began to run lean which caused the EPC light as well as the flashing check engine light come on. I got a diagnostic at a local auto parts store, which gave me 2 codes, P0456 & P0302. The P0456 is the same code I had seen previously but the P0302 had never occurred. I addressed that code by replacing the #2-cylinder coil as well as replacing the sparkplug with new. This seem to have stopped the engine from running rough as well as the EDC light went off however, I could still feel a little hesitation. I watched the gauges and saw it moved from the middle maker of 190 to slightly above (not staying just going back and forth).

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It does both

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 VW?

I have 2013 VW Passat SE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If you send all the data i just sent

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

The flashing check engine light is the result of the P0302. This code is for a misfire on cylinder #2. This can be caused by a bad plug, or ignition coil. Usually it's not to bad a repair.

P0456 is for a very small leak in the evap emissions system. This can be caused by a bad gas cap but if the cap is good and tight, you really need to have a smoke test done to find the location of the leak, then do the repair.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician