Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Brake light, batterylight, and rdiff light are on. Was

Brake light, batterylight, and...

Brake light, batterylight, and rdiff light are on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Was supposed to be checked at last oil change three weeks ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it safe to drive to work about 15 mi

3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

What is the make and model of your car please?

Subaru tribeca
this is of no help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok

The battery and brake light on at the same time means the alternator has stopped charging the battery. Driving it 15 miles should be ok, but it's iffy. The problem is if the alternator isn't charging, it's going touse up the battery power and when it does, then it's going to shut down and not restart.

Sorry, its going to take me a moment to type this out for you. Please allow me a moment to do that.

Most of the time when the diff light comes on, it's usually a bad ground on the rear axle housing for the sensor or the rear diff is low. Personally I would not try to drive the car to work, but would drive it to a shop that can repair the alternator, unless it's a repair you want to make yourself. If possible, get someone to follow you in case the car shuts down on you. Don't use your heat or wipers if possible because they will use up battery power as you drive it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Thank you I will have it towed to work as I work at a car dealer

That's perfect!

You are very welcome and please, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help from here.

Sorry I don't have 26 more dollars to spend
Will text my boss now

There is no need for a call. None at all. Don't worry, a rating is helpful at my end, but the call isn't needed at all.

How do I sign off and give you your rating

There should be some stars at the top of the answer page. Then you can just close the window or log out. Again, i believe there is a button for logging off.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician