Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2006 Suzuki grand vitara and it has a very bad fuel…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Suzuki grand vitara and it has a very bad fuel smell inside and outside of the vehicle but I can't find a leak. This is a common problem with these but I can't find how to fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Vitara yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and just a visual inspection around the fuel injector rail

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was told it has something to do with a washer in between the banjo bolt and the fuel rail

3/26/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Finding a fuel leak is not easy since it evaporates so fast and one whiff of it affects your nose's ability to further pinpoint. My suggestion is to disconnect the fuel line prior to the injector rail and supply compressed air there at 50psi. Then use a stethoscope to listen to all fuel line connection areas and seal areas. I normally find it at the fuel rail line connection or the injectors.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician