Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Extremely rough idle (actually will not run without a lot of…

Extremely rough idle (actually...

Extremely rough idle (actually will not run without a lot of throttle), random misfires, I have replaced the plugs which were extremely eroded after only about 30K miles, currently have 97K on 2015 T&C Limited. I also replace all 6 coil packs. It will start but very rough and will not stay running unless on the gas. Not driveable at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Every single time. It started with running for 5 minutes and then just cut off, have not been able to keep it running ever since (hence the spark plug and coil pack replacements)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Chrysler?

Limited Platinum

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced plugs and coil packs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I am not with the car, however.

3/26/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's really common for this vehicle to develop intake leaks from the intake manifold, what you want to do is get yourself some brake clean and spray it all around the intake area and then start the vehicle and see if the idle picks up and it will idle for a short period of time.You might try unplugging the mass
Air flow sensor and see if it runs better, the reason is that when there's a vacuum leak the mass air flow sensor reads Low and then the engine control module calculates the fueling based on that reading.The reality is an engine draws a fixed amount of air in based on the RPM, and even though there is a vacuum leak, it's still drawing in about the same amount of air what if there wasn't a vacuum leak in this circumstance unless there's a giant hose disconnected.Unplugging the mass airflow sensor causes the engine control module to plug in a default value based on the RPM and throttle position, and then t modify the fueling based on the oxygen sensor reading more effectively then if the mass airflow sensor still connected. This is because the fuel trims are only allowed to correct a certain percentage of deviation from what the mass airflow sensor is reading, the default mass air flow sensor value is closer to the actual air flow than what its reading with the vacuum leak.The only thing I'm up in the air about is the fact that you said it ran for 5 minutes and then cut off, that makes me think that it could possibly be a fueling issue but a failing fuel pump would almost never run worse or Diet idle but allow you to rev the engine keep it going.That being said if you can get me the mass airflow sensor or values at idle and at 2000 RPM using a scan tool with real time sensor reading ability I can help diagnose it. The vehicle should read about 3.5 grams per second of air idle and 10.5 grams per second at 2000 RPM with the vehicle stationary. I realize it won't idle so just try to get the RPM down as low as possible and it should be evident if that's the issue.If your scan tool gives you a different value than grams per second for
the MAF you can go to Google search and type XX kg/hr = ? grams/sec and then compare it to my given numbers.If it has a vacuum leak then the mass airflow sensor will read low at idle and close to correct at 2000 RPM. Obviously if you're at a thousand RPM with the throttle and it's only reading three and a half or close to it then that's your issue.If I answer your question please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way I get paid for my time.If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask, you can ask even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay, so first off I don't have a MAF, I have a MAP sensor (which I did clean)...I also replaced the intake gaskets in case I had a leak there and cleaned everything while I had it apart. The car will start but again will only stay running with lots of throttle. I use the Torque Pro App and an OBD2 scanner but don't see Mass Air Flow sensor readouts, so I can't get the reading you wanted :-( any suggestions??
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Btw, not sure if I "accepted" or not...there is no accept next to your name...thanks!
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician