Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2002 PT Cruiser 120k-ish miles. Power steering seems to have…

Hi. 2002 PT...

Hi. 2002 PT Cruiser 120k-ish miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Power steering seems to have failed. Drove the car about 100 miles, mostly highway, one day, no problems. The next day I started it up, and the power steering was nonfunctional. Turned car off to reset, car wouldn't start. Pushed car back to house. Left it sitting for a bit. Checked the power steering fluid level, level was maybe a tiny bit low. Added fluid. Level is fine, fluid looks clean. Several days have passed. Car starts up fine, no problems. Power steering is basically gone. IT's not as bad as it was the first time, the wheel is not so heavy that it's all but locked, but it is clearly not getting power assist. When I check the codes on the car, nothing related to the power steering comes up (just the 0505 for batter disconnect within the last 50 starts, which is accurate).

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Seems to be consistent but I Haven't driven the car long enough to really say for sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's about it. The car is having a problem with the idle air control valve. The valve itself is fine, but one of the wires in the wiring harness is failing intermittently. This has no overall effect on drivability and the car idles fine but there is a persistent check-engine light.

3/26/2018
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Power steering assist problem is going to be separate from the check engine light. You will need to check all of the power steering fluid lines for leaks. Air in the system will cause a groan type noise and too much air will cause a steering issue.

There is also a screen in the power steering fluid reservoir. Make sure that screen is not clogged.

If those things are ok, then you need to replace the power steering pump.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit from the site unless you give a positive rating.
Do not give a negative rating (2 stars or less) please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!
5 star ratings are greatly appreciated!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
How do I check the screen in the reservoir?

You have to suck some of the fluid out with a turkey baster or battery filler tool. Click here for example.

Dan, ASE Master Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay, I can manage that. Thanks!

Thank you for the rating!

Dan, ASE Master Technician