Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2017 silverado. It has the trailer towing packag.

I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 silverado. It has the trailer towing packag. When I plug the trailer into the factory receptacle the running lights, turn signals and brake lights work OK; however the electric brakes are applied all the time. If I try pulling the trailer the tires just skid. I unplugged the trailer and with a meter measured full voltage between the ground pin and the electric brake pin. On the dashboard where the electric brake controler is located there are two buttons marked + and - they are set at zero. So what is my problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

The truck only has 6000 miles. I recently had at the dealership for the first oil change, all fluid levels were checked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

At this point I am. I have only gone as far I explained in my first note to you.

3/26/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

If you unplug the brake controller, do you lose the power supply to the electric brake pin at the trailer connector?

The brake controller is built into the dashboard.
The truck is still in the warranty period. I thought you might be able to help me tonight as I have a need to pull the trailer in the morning. The dealership is 70 mile plus away and I don’t have an appointment

Thanks that tells me you have the integrated brake controller setup.

How much does your trailer weigh?

2000 lbs

You can tow that amount without the trailer brakes needed. So let's try and just disable the electric brakes. Above your spare tire is the trailer brake control module. Unplug it and you should no longer have power to the brake wire.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

When I load my 6000 lbs tractor on the trailer I will be in trouble.

Sorry I misunderstood, I assumed the trailer and cargo was 2k not 8k combined. You should not tow that much without trailer brakes. Sine your truck has the integrated system and the brakes work through a module. It is going to take parts to fix this issue. You will have to take it to the dealer without towing.

Thanks for trying to help.

You are welcome, I wish cars would stop getting over sophisticated with all of these modules.

When I was a hot rod teenager and now a farmer I am used to solving problems myself. So I agree with you. The days of the shade tree mechanic is over.
When I signed in it said there would be a $5 charge. However my credit card company notified me I have been charged an additional $31?

I have nothing at all to do with the fees being I am not an employee. All techs here are independent contractors that are users of the website like yourself.

The 5$ fee is to confirm your CC is good, then once you get help the remainder of the question value is charged.

Techs do not get paid anything until a customer rates the answer.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician