Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My son has borrowed my Elantra 2012 and the Check Engine…

Customer Question
My son has borrowed...

My son has borrowed my Elantra 2012 and the Check Engine light has come on suddenly and the engine seems to rumble. He's afraid to stop because it may fail completely. He is in Oakland, CA and my dealership is in San Jose. Worried about him getting back to my house in Mountain View. Please advise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Don't know. Will need to Call him.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Stays on but then goes away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need to know if this problem will cause the car to suddenly die on the highway. It would be very dangerous. The engine light goes off when the engine seems to be better.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Auto Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 4 months ago
john  aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

Is the light on solid or flashing?

Stays on while rumbling but goes away when the engine seems okay.

Do you have access to a scan tool or code reader?

Sorry, don't want to pay more money. My son has borrowed my car because his car broke down on Thursday. It's very stressful at the moment.
No.
I have no scan tool. I am not with my car. Can you please advise me whether this car can be driven from Oakland to Mountain View. We can tow it from here is necessary.

Is it under warranty? If the light is solid. And not flashing it's safe to drive......if the check engine light is flashing it should be towed

Okay. Thank you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.