Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2004 Grand Am 3.4. Right now I am trying to figure out fans,

2004 Grand Am 3.4...

2004 Grand Am 3.4. Right now I am trying to figure out fans, turn A/c on no fans. Unplug temp sensor no fans. Have power to fans check relays, and pig tail to fans shows power. Direct power to fans will work. New temp sensor, thermostat. I tried Unplug temp sensor just key on not start it in park seems to work on other Grand Am's. It all started with thermostat code. Have drove this car very little not mine. Has not over heated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.

Yes checked pigtail 4.97 ohms. temp sensor cold 6.25. Seems good to me but could be wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just the things I have told you. Put temp pig tail to fan motors run great. Three relays the same starter, fan 1, fan 2. marked and tried in all three positions each started the car. Have thought about putting new one's on to try. Other than that temp sensor, thermostat. First time I drove it thought thermostat stuck open service light on code thermostat cleared ran it hard no more codes next day same service light on same code. That's when change out part's.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

o

when you unplug the temp sensor, does the fans have power to the plug??

Roy

ok, let me get a diagram. it looks like you have a bad ground. if you have power, the entire circuit up to the fans is good.

Roy

Every thing as normal except unplug temp sensor
Have been wondering about ground

ok, what color are the wires at the fan that have voltage?? there are 2 systems and need the colors.

Roy

Not with the vehicle but want to say blue and white?

light blue and gray sound about right??

Test light to power don’t remember witch wire

you do have 2 fans, correct??

Two fans
There was one 30 amp fuse for ground that we saw and power both sides

ok

the splice pack for the grounds is located on the transmission mounting bolt that is a stud. you should see it from the top on the drivers side. make sure it is not damages or loose. check for broken wires at that point. very common area for bad grounds.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Ok will check first chance I get not able to get to vehicle at this time is another location
Thanks Roy

thank you

Your welcome
New relays and no power to 30 amp ground fuse

you mentioned prior that you checked it and there was power at the 30 amp fuse??? please confirm

Roy

We were wrong check this morning .

ok

do you have power to the gray wire at the motor??? the right motor??

Test light gray wire power

check the black wire on the other side of the connector. make sure the connector is connected to the fan motor.

Roy

It’s connected

ok, and is there power to the black wire on the connector??

Need to re- connect right side

ok and you have no power to the ground fuse??

if you do not then you have a wiring issue between the motor and the fuse block.

if you do have power, re check the ground on the bell housing

Roy

Re-check and now have power to ground fuse

if power is on both sides of the fuse, go to the ground connection at the bell housing I told you about before and verify the connection is clean and tight

Roy

I think we spotted the ground on bell housing it’s a stud with like a wire connecter yellow top?

that is correct.

Roy

Ok looking now hard to reach

ok

Is that nut Torqued ? Doesn’t look bad but wanted to take off and clean

just tighten it up.

make sure the wires are clean and good connection

Roy

Does the side cover come off to see wires?

no, it is bolted on the stud that holds the transmission to the engine. it is on the front of the car at the transmission housing

Roy

Not back towards fire wall side?

it could be but most of the times it is on the front mounted bolts. look for a stud wires connected. also look for any wires that are not connected

Roy

Found another wire connecter on the front looks just like the other side so far can’t find a stud. It’s along mount.

ok

If it’s on the front we found it but all the wires are in the connecter don’t see how I can check them
Can’t even see the stud sure it there though

make sure there are no broken wires to the connector and that it is clean and tight

Roy

Wires leading to it are wrapped very tightly see what I can do

ok

We can see wires clean wrap to hard get off to really check. Out of curiosity I started the car and checked the grounding fuse and power again! Text your thoughts. I have to stop working on car as I have to get up really early for work.
Miss type no power to grounding fuse again

power at the fuse says there is no ground to turn on the fans. thats why I asked you to do this check

Roy

I did and had power not now

when you get back to it, recheck the black wire at the fan motor again

Roy

Ok

let me know