Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2014 x3. Not fixing myself. Brought it to the dealership…

2014 x3 Mechanic's Assistant:...

2014 x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, not fixing myself. Brought it to the dealership after it stalled on me three times while stopped. Had trouble restarting. Car passes their diagnostics, didn't throw a code, they can't reproduce the problem. They still have the car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

There is no code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm meeting with the dealership on Monday and need to be able to ask intelligent questions to incent them to look further and not try to hand the car back to me undiagnosed.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Generally if the vehicle stalls on you idle usually only two or three things that can cause it.One of them is a vacuum leak which the mass airflow sensor and long term fuel from values will identify.The second is a faulty crankshaft position sensor and more often than not that will throw a fault as well.Is 3rd is a failing fuel pump which is overheating. Generally that only happens if the fuel tank is low, the pump gets hot overheats and shuts down but often the vehicle will also lack power under hard acceleration. Often times customers don't drive their vehicle aggressively enough to even notice that, and the scan tool BMW should be able to monitor the waveform of the fuel pump and the RPM which would identify that it is faulty.The dealer tax should be good enough to identify these concerns however, you still may ask them for these values especially the mass air flow sensor values and whether or not there's a crank position sensor fault and get back to me on that.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way this site compensates me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Danny. Just so I'm clear on what and how to ask, when I talk to them on Monday I should ask:
- What are the mass airflow sensor values
- What are the long term fuel values
- Is there a crank position sensor faultRegarding the 3rd possibility of a failing fuel pump: Do I also ask them to check the fuel pump? Or is there a specific diagnostic that should be run? The stalls occurred when my gas tank was low - stalled as I was waiting to make a left hand turn into the gas station, then stalled at the first light just after I filled up, then stalled again in my driveway as I was waiting for the garage door to open. Three stalls occurred within a 15-20 minute timeframe and 1/2 mile. The Check Control light came on briefly, which is "Lack of Power" per the BMW User Manual.I have only driven it once since then (this happened last Thursday) when I drove it to the dealership (non-BMW) where I bought it 3 weeks ago. Has about 57,000 miles on it. Their diagnostics turn up nothing. No code was thrown. They have informed me the vehicle is operating as designed, working well, and is ready for pick up. I have informed them that the vehicle is not ready for pick up until the stalling issue has been resolved. With your help we may be able to reach a resolution that works for both sides.Thanks for any additional suggestions you may have before I meet with them on Monday.I've had the car for 3 weeks, bought it used, it's currently parked at the dealership (not a BMW dealer, but a used car dealership) and they're waiting for me to pick it up since everything is working fine.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I just re-read your original answer and see that you did provide guidance for the fuel pump. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Update: dealership does not have the BMW tools to read the values. They are willing to send it to BMW to obtain those, however before that we agreed I would take the car home, run down the gas tank to less than 1/4 tank, and bring it back and leave it overnight with them to see if they can reproduce the problem and perhaps also get some readings on the fuel pump, which they believe may be straining when the tank is low. If nothing new shows up then I will ask them to send the car to BMW (which is just up the road - I would have brought my x3 there to begin with if it was not still within the 2500 miles/60 day dealership warranty period) for additional diagnostics and readings.
All you need is an OBD2 scan tool capable of reading real time sensor values. If they have a scan tool at all they should be able to read those values.Now, if they don't have a BMW specific tool, and the light isn't on, the
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician