Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2006 lr3 with a dead battery. Can I replace it

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 lr3 with a dead battery. Can I replace it myself? Is there programming required? Do I need a specific kind?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Land Rover LR3. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Well, we leave it at a summer home and may not start it for up to 2-3 mos. don’t know how to keep this from happening

3/24/2018
CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner

So, the answer is yes, you can definitely replace this yourself with no scan tool equipment or programming needed.

The battery size is group 49, and I would recommend an Interstate MTP-49 H8.

Replacement is very straight-forward. Under hood, driver's side under a plastic cover and held down with an easily removable brace. Remove negative cable first, and reattach negative cable last.

Please let me know if I can offer further information

Any advice on keeping the battery alive since we may go up to a month or two without driving. I’ve heard both 1. Disconnect the battery or 2. Use a “trickle” charger. The car is left at our summer home.

A good battery tender would be ideal so that you don't have to deal with the hassle of reprogramming clocks and such. Not all tenders are created equal, however. This is what we use at my shop: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LX3AS6

I need to purchase the battery and then a phone call would help. We do have the v8, assuming this is correct information for the v8 as well

Yes, the V6 and V8 have the battery in the same location.

Thank you!!

my pleasure!

CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner