Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2008 GMC Envoy has antiskid braking light coming on and…

Customer Question
My 2008 GMC Envoy...

My 2008 GMC Envoy has antiskid braking light coming on and as I am braking I hear a loss of vacuum noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Master cylinder and brake fluid are fine. I also replaced the brake power booster and vacuum line and valve between engine manifold and power booster

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fluid which is full an no leaks in system. Replaced brake power booster and valve plus hose between engine manifold and power booster

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
3/24/2018
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

when you step on the brakes at times do you feel a quick rapid fluttering?

are you there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fluttering when I step on the brakes. Sometime, not always, when I brake I get a spongy feeling in the brake pedal and can hear a noise at the very end of the brake cycle just before I come to a stop. Brake pads and rotors are good and no leaks of fluid anywhere. I replaced the vacuum line going from the engine manifold to the power brake booster and also replaced the booster and the valve on the booster. The anti skid braking light has been coming on at times.

What kind of noise are you hearing sometimes before you come to a stop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just before I come to a complete stop the pedal sometimes feels squishy and I hear the sound kind of like expelling air. Sometimes after it does this and I try to start accelerating again I get a long pause almost like the engine stalled.

how do the brakes feel if you remove the vacuum hose from the booster?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I won't have access to the vehicle until Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. I'll take of the hose and see how the brakes feel and let you know. Thanks.

ok, thanks

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK, i removed the vacuum hose from the manifold side of the brake power booster but I still get a spongy feeling and vacuum noise sometimes just before the vehicle comes to a stop. Of course, I have no power brakes but drove it slowly and braked a few times to see if it is still has the problem and it does. I wonder if my fluid is contaminated???
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 28 days ago

Im wondering if the master and the fluid is the issue

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Master cylinder checked out ok. I wonder if it is the fluid too. I'm guessing that should be them next thing I should do. On your recommendation I'll take it to a brake shop and have them clean out and refill the system completely.

that would be a great thing to have done.

Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 27 days ago

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Had the brake fluid changed at shop and still does it. The are going to check diagnostics on the ABS and suspect it is one of the ABS sensors at the wheel. It is in the bearing assy area. I should know by saturday if that is what it is.What do you think?
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 25 days ago

I think if they see a wheel speed sensor reading incorrectly, then yes it could be the sensor or hub assembly

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician