Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Water pump broke, installed a new one, which still does not…

Water pump broke, installed...

Water pump broke, installed a new one, which still does not work. I read the #2 pin is switch on, should be 12V, but mine is about 7V; maybe that is the problem. If yes, how do I fix it? thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Yes, overheated. this is the 2nd time water pump broke

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MiniE?

BMW 2008 335i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed new pump

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Need to determine if the new pump is bad or something else is wrong. The voltage of the pins to the water pump: #1: 12V, #2: 7V, #3: 8V. thanks
3/24/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Your coolant pump has a 4 wire connector? Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in China, call may not be an option
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 pin only get 7V, which make me think the problem is not the pump. Need to confirm.

No problem. I do not need to call. That is an ad from the website. With the key ON and connector disconnected, on pin 1 orange wire, there should be battery voltage. On pin 3 there should also be battery voltage. On pin 4 there should be a ground. And pin 2 is the control signal which pulses a ground to the water pump.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If that is the case, my problem is with #3, gets 8V only. of the 3 pins, only #1 gets 12V.

#3 needs fuel voltage and that may be why your pump will not run when commanded by the computer. You could try and verify if the pump will run when commanded by supplying your own 12 volts to that circuit. If there is only 8 volts it is likely because high resistance in the wire. Corrosion or a chaff, etc.. You can either over lay your own wire to repair, or trace the wire on the vehicle and look for the problem.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It cannot be a bad fuse, because it still has voltage, correct?

There could be poor contact at the fuse such as a burnt terminal in the fuse box or on the fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks. how possible ECU is the problem?

Not very common. You need to verify full voltage and grounds first for pump to run.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. #3 is from ECU?

No. #2 is from ecu and is a duty cycled ground to control the speed of the pump. If you are interested I can send you he BMW wiring diagrams for this. But there is a small additional fee from the website to access and create and send the PDF files. That is up to you. It may help you out in this case.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please send, will pay whatever fee

I will attach the following files. Let me know if there is any other diagram you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks. seems #2 pin involves a number of things, I will check them out.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
from the diagram, #2 pin is connected to temperature sensor and oil sensor. If any of those is bad, it can affect the voltage to water pump #2 pin, yes?

pin 2 is not connected to the sensors. the sensors are connected to the module. you need to repair low voltage on pin3 before wasting more time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Understood, thanks. Somewhere says #2 rather than #3 should be 12V, confuses me. BTW, my is 2008 BMW 335i VIN: WBAWB73598P156056

i would go by what the manual shows. The wiring for the pump is the same for that year regardless of build date.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Eric.

your welcome

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician