Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My transmission is overheating and the dip stick shows the…

My transmission is overheating...

My transmission is overheating and the dip stick shows the reservoir is full. What can I do. I still have 250 miles to travel. Thx.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

If stopping to get it addressed is not an option. Then my suggestion is to drive and take many breaks. Do your best to drive easy and not push it. Try to maintain speeds over 45mph with minimal adjustments to throttle whereas you want to increase a lot of speed. Drive give or take 30 miles at a time then pull over and let it cool down for 15 minutes in park running or 30 minutes while off. Do realize if your trans is actually overheating, continuing to drive can ruin it. It can only get so hot before the seals and clutches fail. When that happens an overhaul or replacement will be needed.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician