Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have routed my vacuum lines incorrectly and I am having a…

I have routed my...

I have routed my vacuum lines incorrectly and I am having a difficult time finding a diagram. I replaced the CCV and in the process noticed all the vacuum lines were rotten. I removed the intake and I am now in the process of restoration, however, like I stated, no diagram for the vacuum system.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2000 BMW 328i, tag says manufactered 02/2000 VIN WBAAM5345YJR60616

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing the vehichle myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I reinstalled the new CCV, the intake and all the components

3/23/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, attached is the only vacuum routing diagram I show for this vehicle.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, that's not going to work

I will opt out and see if anyone has a better diagram

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in particular, there is a vacuum connection on the fuel rail - where does that get its vacuum from (which connection. Also there is a vacuum hose not connected at the rear of the engine where the fuel lines come up, where does this get connected?
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
There are three types of engine vacuum, you have manifold vacuum, venturi vacuum which is from where the throttle body next down to its narrowest point, and ported vacuum.Manifold vacuum happens anytime the engine is running and the throttle plate in the throttle body is shut, and is 19 in of vacuum at idle and can be substantially higher under hard deceleration.Venturi vacuum happens anytime the engine is running and increases the more air is flowing into the motor, typically you don't read venturi vacuum, and in modern vehicles it's really only used to draw pressure from the crankcase breather system, and sometimes from the brake booster, or other emissions systems.Ported vacuum is vacuum that comes before the throttle plate basically between the throttle plate and the mass air flow sensor or air filter housing.The vacuum hose you're talking about that comes off the fuel rail is for the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure increases as you increase RPM and therefore with manifold vacuum it cuts the fuel pressure down at idle and then when you give it throttle the vacuum disappears, and the fuel pressure increases. So basically that vacuum line needs to go to the intake manifold after the throttle body.If you send me a picture of where the other vacuum line is going to I can tell you what it goes to it's most likely to the Kombi valve for the secondary air injection, and that goes to an electronic solenoid that has an electrical connector going to it and would have another vacuum line coming from manifold vacuum.Take a picture and upload it and I'll tell you that for sure.If I answer your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept, as that's the only way the site compensates me for my time.Please don't hesitate to ask any follow-up questions which you can ask even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As soon as I can I will upload a photo, however...it appears to come from the fuel filter.
The fuel filters is in the rear of the car....and no vacuum line goes to it.Are you may be talking about one of the hoses for the EVAP system? Is this hoes like a half inch in diameter or something? Does it go to plastic and maybe some of the connectors or Clips are green for it?
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is like 3/8 line and hoes to plastic line
I need to get back under the car to see exactly where it goes.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician