Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My roll bar is stuck in the up position. I disconnected my…

My roll bar is...

My roll bar is stuck in the up position. I disconnected my top switch when I removed my console and now the roll bar is up and the top won't function?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

It's a 2000 SL500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I tried resetting the windows. they work. The roll bar hasn't reset, I held the switch in the up position, heard the clicking but it didn't reset

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The noise is from the mechanism of the roll bar. the reset instructions are clear, I hold the switch in the up position for 15 seconds or until you hear the clicking and them it should reset but it hasn't

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really, it seems the problem started from disconnecting the power top switch, if that helps

3/22/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Unfortunately you're probably going to need to use a professional quality scan tool to reset the system now. There's about one thing you can do to try to reset the system and that is a capacitive discharge.Disconnect the negative battery cable and connected to the positive battery cable for about 20 or 30 minutes and that will drain all the capacitors in the control modules, and allow the modules then communicate with each other properly.You don't have to disconnect the positive cable if you don't want to as long as the negative is disconnected from the battery but if it makes you feel better you can disconnect both just make sure you disconnect the negative first, and reconnect the negative last.If that doesn't work you'll have to find a shop that specializes in German Auto Repair that can connect to the top control module and reset it.Gimme a moment to do some more research and see if I can find another solution. Give that a try for now.
Okay after doing the capacitive discharge you're going to want to try to set the windows and set the roll bar so set the roll bar by holding the switch in the up position for 5 or 10 seconds and then in the down position for 5 or 10 seconds you might try doing that a couple times and then reset the windows the same way so hold each of switch is in the on position for 5 or 10 seconds then the down position for 5 or 10 seconds and then I would go back and forth between doing the roll bar in the windows each a few times and give that a shot.If that doesn't work you're going to have to get it hooked up to the scan tool. Like I said it's not just a normal scan tool it's going to need to be a professional quality scan tool.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to accept next to my name is ***** ***** only way the site will compensate me for my time.If you have any follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Disconnect the negative battery cable and connected to the positive battery cable for about 20 or 30 minutes and that will drain all the capacitors in the control modules, and allow the modules then communicate with each other properly.This makes no sense- i'm not going to disconnect my negative lead and connect it to the positive, that's crazy!
That is a professional factory procedure from all Automotive manufacturers for draining the capacitors from control modules and getting them to properly communicate with each other I don't know why you would come here and ask me a question I'm a German Master Tech and then tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Danny, won't putting the negative lead on the positive side of the battery while the positive is connected to the battery and the car short out the battery and the system?
Can I just disconnect the negative lead? of disconnect the battery all together?
Here's a screenshot from Google the first one should be a video showing it and then it talks about it in some of the other links.This is like the very first thing they teach you to do when you're having weird control module issues.It doesn't short out the system because the negative is disconnected if you want to disconnect the positive as well you can if it makes you feel better but you don't need to disconnect the positive all you need to do is disconnect the negative and that breaks the circuit doesn't short anything because the battery is no longer in the circuit.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or disconnect the whole thing?
If it makes you feel better you can disconnect both cables yes but disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last because if you disconnect the positive cable first or you reconnect the positive cable last it traps electrons in the system in weird places.
When I do it all I do is disconnect the negative cable only.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks! I once disconnected the battery overnight to re-establish the radio and I had to reset everything. 20-30 minutes, got it.
Thanks again! I just didn't understand.
It's all good I understand why it freaks people out electronics are gray area for most people even a lot of technicians aren't well-versed in it and I can understand why people would think this would cause some serious issues it seems like a weird thing to do the first time I tried it but I've had vehicles come in not running before even and done this and it fired right up and never came back sometimes some weird things happen, and this little trick actually works well.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Danny, it didn't work, then my nephew came over with the code reader gizmo but unfortunately he recognized the fact that there is the circlular female female MB code reader under the hood, so I've got to take it in.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician