Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2005 Altima will drive in 1st gear and reverse wont in

2005 Altima will drive...

2005 Altima will drive in 1st gear and reverse wont in drive

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Its a 2005 no haven't checked brake switch not sure why

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

No its my sons new transmission fluid

3/22/2018
Jake
Jake, Auto Mechanic
Hey there, thanks for the question. Is the service engine soon light on?
Is this. 2.5 or 3.5 Altima? Because they have differ transmissions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No engine light on
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s the2.5
Thanks, ***** ***** goes into forward and reverse gear, but won’t change gears correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well he kept his foot on the brake and it eventually went into drive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once in drive it works perfectly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He was driving it first or low gear and couldn’t get into drive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Kept his foot on brake and it went into drive
Thanks, ***** ***** is a severe delay going into drive or holdi the brake (while pressing the gas or not) helps it get into gear then there is a pressure issue inside the transmission.
The transmission uses pressure to engage the clutch packs if there is a seal or clurchmaterial in a valve it will effect pressures and not allow it to shift.
There were some hard shifting issues on these related to the drop resistors or the sensors but that generally throws a code and shifts hard.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think this is a major problem ?
From the description, it may require a rebuild. Hard to tell without a full pressure test.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much to rebuild a transmission in 2005 Altima
It’s about $1500 on those transmissions
If you have further questions let me know I’m happy to help, if not please just be sure to leave a kind rating
Jake
Jake, Auto Mechanic
Jake
Jake
Jake, Auto Mechanic