Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder that is built on a Ford F53…

Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder that is built on a Ford F53 chassis that has a 460 V8 engine and I am very certain that it has a blown power steering hose. I was driving it a few weeks ago and saw smoke coming from right below the driving side window and the smoke was coming from near the drivers side tire. I have already confirmed that the power steering system has 3 hoses - 2 are suction lines and 1 is the return line. Can you ask your Ford mechanic if this is a DIY-possible job or best to have a shop do it?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

The fluid was brand new when I bought the motorhome in 2015 and the 1st thing I'm going to do is check the fluid when I am with the vehicle again on Saturday morning. I am currently out of town and will be with the vehicle again on Saturday morning. I already had my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store order in ALL 3 x power steering hoses and I am a VERY experienced DIY repair guy! I think I can probably switch out the hoses with NO problem but the concern I have is being able to find where the leak or blown hose is because I won't have any one to help me find it (I'll be alone with the vehicle). You Know?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm pretty much thinking that I could buy ALL three 3 x hoses and fill up the reservoir with brand new fluid (it's probably empty by now; I did not check it - yet - after this happened stupidly enough) and then TRY to see where the leak is happening. But, at this point, I already do have a shop where I can take it but just wanting to know if those hoses are SUPER hard to follow (from the reservoir) and if this is something that would normally require a 2nd guy to find such a leak.....what do you think?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just make sure to tell him that the shop I contacted did indicate that the exhaust manifold is NEAR to where one of the power steering suction hoses goes and they thought the smoke I saw was from where the fluid was getting burnt on the exhaust manifold - so, at least, I do know that it's a blown hose and NOT a bad P/S pump etc. OK.

3/22/2018
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is a farly simple thing and yes its usually a hose... more specifically its usually the pressure line at one of the crimps. You will want to have a decent crows foot socket set if you are going to do it yourself.

I cant see the vehicle so its just a guess but Im sure its one of the lines. At 20 years old and as little use as it likely sees I cant imagine it being a bad pump.

For the price I would suggest just doing all three. Youre already in there, got the tools handy and are gonna get dirty anyway... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Wayne, Thank you for checking back with me. Very cool of you. I took the vehicle to an RV repair tech (knowing I'd probably need help) and after his inspection, we found that the power steering reservoir was still completely full of fluid & the 2nd belt was off. The culprit was a seized AC Compressor & the belt broke, as a result (that was the smoke I saw). The tech is going to put on a dummy AC Compressor pulley & reinstall the belt & should be good, after that. Thanks again for your initial advice. I will definitely use Just Answer again. Very Best, Russ

No problem. Glad you got it figured out and a solution is in the works. That sounds more realistic than a power steering pump. Again with as little use as it probably sees it sits alot and the oil doesnt get ran through the A/c pump and it eventually freezes up. Let me know if you need anything further. Thanks

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner