Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

It has 13,000 miles and the battery is dead. A brand new…

It has 13,000 miles...

It has 13,000 miles and the battery is dead. A brand new battery was installed and the car would not start. 2015 EX-L V-6. I just bought it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Honda?

EX-L two door coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I sent it to the dealer, they installed a new battery and when I went to pick it up, it was dead

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Light flashing on the panel, the first time it happened, it went to the dealer and battery was installed and nothing, no lights. no anything

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine /gearbox.
Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

If its not then check the charge light bulb in the dash which provides the load to the diode pack in the back of the alternator, if this bulb has blown then the diode pack will never switch over to charging when its running. If the bulb is OK then check the wiring to earth for the bulb.

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer