Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Have strange noise comim Coming out of the engine. Automatic…

Customer Question
Have strange noise comim...

Have strange noise comim Coming out of the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic around 80kmiles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 s80 3.2 B6324S engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yup

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It,s not the alternator

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
3/21/2018
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you tell me what kind of noise this is on your model?

Has anything else been checked or replaced to try and locate or repair this at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.
I used a hearing scope to listen,and i can hear the same noise on the housing that the vaccuumpump is attached to and atn the same noise at the power take off attachment for the alternator...
I removed the alternator already and its ok.
I removed the serpentine belt tensioner and idle pulley.....both were a little bit dry so i greased the bearing(hence there is no parts available in my country) to see that would be any diff. In noise level....but it remained the same.
It is a squeeling/smooth scraping noise that started 2 monyhs ago.
It started low but it is noticable louder nowadays.
I tried the serpentine belt for noise by spraying WD40 on it while running.....no change.
I checked the A/C pulley too...nothing.
It is not from the coupled powersteering and waterpump neither.
To only thing i have not checked is the vaccuumpump.....
After this to me it has to be engine block related and not the take offs !!!
Can you advise me on this ???
I am an automotive and industrial technician for over 15 years trying to find a shortcut to repair my own car as fast as possible......lol !!
This is not funny and my wife is breathing in my neck about her car noise she doesnt like !!!..
This is my first 2007 volvo S80 3.2(B6324S) Fwd and has around 85k miles......137.000km on dial.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.
I checked the A/C pulley too...nothing.
Can you advise me on this ???
If you want i can lateron send you a video with noise and pointing out where it is coming from !!!

If you can upload a video or sound clip here this would help quite a bit just let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Hi the video is too large for me to send. Is there any other way for me to send it to you?
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 6 days ago

You can put the video on a place like Youtube and make it public to view then send me the link or it if that works.

Thanks Pete

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician