Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

ABS light, wrench light and traction light are coming

ABS light, wrench light...

ABS light, wrench light and traction light are coming on...power is sporadic, brakes act funky

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Wrench light and traction light as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?

I've had problems with the brakes kinda locking up (at times) and the power seems to "slip", like the transmission is slipping Lincoln MKX 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MKX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't addressed this issue yet, neither a mechanic nor myself. I'll probably take it in later today to be looked at...suggest that it could be a tone rine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New brakes and rotors on the front 1 year ago. New PCM, gaskets and spark plugs 5 months ago

3/21/2018
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

how are the brakes acting ?

unwanted abs activation ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Gary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The brakes have locked up intermittently in the past, rare but it's happened. There have been times where I put my car in drive and the RPM's will go but the car hesitates to move, like it slips before it 'catches' and then starts to move.

the odds are there is a wheel speed sensor giving a wrong speed signal do to a bad wheel speed sensor or the wiring to one of the wheel speed sensors

when this happens it will trigger all those lights and can cause the brakes to feel odd

the shop will pull the ABS codes and off the codes or codes set will know if or which wheel sensor is reading wrong

90 % of these end up being that issue

if you have any questions please ask

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the feedback, Google sort of mentioned the same. Yesterday evening the wrench light, ABS light and traction light all came on for about 30 seconds when I started the car....that's what made me inquire about what the issue might be.

it usually will be a wheel sensor

when reading wrong it will also think a wheel is spinning when it is not and cause the hesitation

it should all be related

if you have any questions please ask

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will rate you well. So at this point you're suggesting I take the care in to have the ABS codes read to identify if or which wheel sensor it may be...is that correct? Any thoughts on the tone rings?

yes that is correct

a tone ring or trigger wheel for one of the sensors yes can be an issue but once they know what wheel the code is set they will inspect the wiring and sensor and the hub/bearing tone trigger for that wheel

Gary
Gary, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You're the man Gary, Thanks!! Take care.

anytime

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician