Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Ive been searching in the internet for a sollution of one of…

Ive been searching in...

Ive been searching in the internet for a sollution of one of the code my evolution X got

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

The error code is P2253 it came after I replaced the front Lambda O2 sensor whit new one because it was damaged and it gave me another code different one

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2008 MR

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Authorised dealer, I left the car for a exhaust manifold change becase the old one was cracked and also replaced the lambda sensor

3/21/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - I always suggest in these types of situations, that you go back to where others have been. In this case, that would be the exhaust manifold and related parts. So you replaced the AF sensor, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm going to post some other items to check - Notice the ECM is at the bottom of the list. It would be rare for the ECM to cause this issue, and I don't really think it is at fault in this case.

TROUBLESHOOTING HINTS (The most likely causes for this code to be set are:)
- Heated oxygen sensor (front) failed.
- Heated oxygen sensor (rear) failed.
- Shorted heated oxygen sensor (front) circuit, harness damage, or connector damage.
- Shorted heated oxygen sensor (rear) circuit, harness damage, or connector damage.
- ECM failed

STEP 1. Check harness connector heated oxygen sensor (front) and heated oxygen sensor (rear) for damage.

Q: Is the harness connector in good condition?

YES: Go to Step 2.

NO: Repair or replace it. Refer to Harness Connector Inspection. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 2. Check the heated oxygen sensor (front).
Refer to heated oxygen sensor (front).

Q: Is the heated oxygen sensor (front) normal?

YES: Go to Step 3.

NO: Replace the heated oxygen sensor (front). Then go to Step 12.

STEP 3. Check the heated oxygen sensor (rear).
Refer to heated oxygen sensor (rear).

Q: Is the heated oxygen sensor (rear) normal?

YES: Go to Step 4.

NO: Replace the heated oxygen sensor (rear). Then go to Step 12.

STEP 4. Check harness connector the ECM for damage.

YES: Go to Step 5.

STEP 5. Measure the sensor offset voltage at ECM connector by using power plant ECU check harness special tool MB992110.

1. Disconnect all ECM connectors. Connect the power plant ECU check harness special tool MB992110 between the separated connectors.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
3. Measure the voltage between terminal No. 39 and ground.
Voltage should be between 0.4 and 0.6 volt.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position.

Q: Is the measured voltage between 0.4 and 0.6 volt?

YES: Go to Step 8.

NO: Go to Step 6.

STEP 6. Check for short circuit to power supply between heated oxygen sensor (front) connector (terminal No.4) and ECM connector (terminal No.39).
NOTE: For LANCER 2.0L engine [California], check for short circuit between heated oxygen sonsor (front) connector (terminal No.2) and ECM connector (terminal No. 39).

Q: Is the harness wire in good condition?

YES: Go to Step 7.

NO: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 7. Check for short circuit to power supply between heated oxygen sensor (front) connector (terminal No.3) and ECM connector (terminal No. 38).
NOTE: For LANCER 2.0L engine [California], check for short circuit to power supply between heated oxygen sensor (front) connector (terminal No.4) and ECM connector (terminal No. 38).

YES: Go to Step 11.

NO: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 8. Measure the sensor offset voltage at ECM connector by using power plant ECU check harness special tool MB992110.

3. Measure the voltage between terminal No. 41 and ground.

YES: Go to Step 11.

NO: Go to Step 9.

STEP 9. Check for short circuit to power supply between heated oxygen sensor (rear) connector (terminal No.4) and ECM connector (terminal No. 41).

YES: Go to Step 10.

NO: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 10. Check for short circuit to power supply between heated oxygen sensor (rear) connector (terminal No.3) and ECM connector (terminal No. 40).

YES: Go to Step 11.

NO: Repair it. Then go to Step 12.

STEP 11. Test the OBD-II drive cycle.

1. To prevent damage to scan tool MB991958, always turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK" (OFF) position before connecting or disconnecting scan tool MB991958.
2. Connect scan tool MB991958 to the data link connector.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
4. Carry out the test drive with the drive cycle pattern. Refer to Diagnostic Function - OBD-II Drive Cycle.
5. Check the diagnostic trouble code (DTC).

Q: Is DTC P2253 set?

YES: Replace the ECM. When the ECM is replaced, register the ID code. Then go to Step 12.

NO: It can be assumed that this malfunction is intermittent. Refer to How to Use Troubleshooting/Inspection Service Points - How to Cope with Intermittent Malfunctions.

STEP 12. Test the OBD-II drive cycle.

1. Carry out a test drive with the drive cycle pattern. Refer to Diagnostic Function - OBD-II Drive Cycle.

2. Check the diagnostic trouble code (DTC).

Q: Is DTC P2253 set?

YES: Retry the troubleshooting.

NO: The inspection is complete.

I don't think you have the special tools for this... but check harnesses and connectors.

Hope that helps. Canuck

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the advice , I'll see what i can do.

You are welcome. If this info has been valuable, please close up the question and rate my service. Thanks. Canuck.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician