Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I just replaced the right front wheel bearing on my 2002…

I just replaced the...

I just replaced the right front wheel bearing on my 2002 dodge Dakota Sport pick up. two weeks ago. When I pulled up yo my gate yesterday, I noticed smoke comming from the wheel. I saw some brake fluid on the inside ofm my tire. I couldn't see where it was coming from. Today my brake light on the dash came on, and I hear some metal on metal type grinding while driving. Could my wheel bearing be going out, again?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. All I did was replace the Wheel bearing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If it is the whell bearing, What could cause it to go ouit again so fast???

3/21/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

That sounds like the brake caliper was hanging on, Have you pulled that wheel off and checked the brake rotor to see if it got hot and colored?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was a yellowish color when I pulled it off the first time, before I replaced the bearing, but I didn't notice a color this time.

can you freely turn that wheel with your hands? Also pull the caliper apart to check the brake pads let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not prepared to do any work on my truck at this moment. Could you just tell me what I need to do tomorrow. or else can we continue this conversation tomorrow??

lets do this tomorrow as I would like to walk you through this if that's ok with you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, what's the best way for me to get back with YOU tomorrow.

just post your on right here and I'll get back to yo.tell me approximately what time as it is 12:15 here right now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's 9;30 pm here. how about 11:00 am my time tomorrow (2:00 pm your time?). I will have the wheel off when I contact you.

sounds good I will mark you in. G/N

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
It's raining here and I need to set up a way to work and stay dry. So I can't do it right now. Give me a couple hours and I'll write you back. Sorry and thanks.

No problem when ever you are ready just text me and we can proceed.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok, finally. I have the wheel off and the calipers partially off. the wheel was once again frozen on. I had to bang it off with a rubber mallet. the pads (calipers ?) were not stuck to the disc and there is no coloring.

So you mean the hub itself was seized and would not turn?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Sorry about that, I fell asleep. The wheel was stuck to the hub, but the hub turns.

any rust on the rim or if it is an alloy rim they tend to build up with corrosion , you can also use some brake anti seize on the hub to help stop that

Now when you turn the hub does it free wheel and feel smooth or rough?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It turns but it doesn't spin feel y

that's normal, do you feel any roughness in it when turning

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don't have both wh els up off the ground no roughness

anydiscolorization on the hub itself that indicates heating? any oil seeping from the seals?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no

ok will be back in about 15 min have to pick up my better half from work.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok thanks

Back

I wish you would accept the chat service it would be faster and more direct. I still feel it has something to do with the brakes on that side.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

ok I just sent my info for you to call me am waiting.

are you there?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Evidently I have a calling plan that won't allow me to call you.

ok, then this extra charge will go towards more Q&A time as needed. Did you torque the axle nut correctly for the hub when you finished installing it? what was the toque you applied?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I did not use a torque wrench, but it isn't loose.

the max torque that should be is 185flb.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is 185 lbs. something that requires a lot of strength to achieve, or is it not hard to over do it.

I really do not believe the bearing is at fault because they are a sealed one piece and hub design , and what you told me it is still ok, I still believe this is a brake problem caliper in directly hanging on when driving. are the sliders free so you can move them easily in amd out? did you try to move the piston in the caliper?

Yes that takes a lot to torque it that much.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm not sure what sliders are, but it took quite a bit of prying to get the piston to open up.

ok I will bet my gold fillings if you replaced that caliper assembly your troubles will be gone, and if they are I would recommend to do the other side as well. That bearing would definitely not go that fast even if you did over torque it , it would have to have no lube in it and a long hard trip to do anything .

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
About how much does a caliper assembly cost?

up here in Canada , about $150 but you can phone around first and also check online

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok Peter, thank you so much for your time, and have a good rest of your evening

Good luck my friend and if you need help in the future you know where to find me.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ers sir thanks again
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician