Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Just had my car in the shop, they said the catalytic

Second opinion] Hey. Just had...
Second opinion] Hey. Just had my car in the shop, they said the catalytic converter, valve gasket, spark plugs, ignition coils, manifold gasket all needed replacement. It was too much so I just did the valve and plugs and coils. Car was fine for a couple drives but suddenly now when I turn the key no noise except the dash flickering, lights extremely low or none at all, no radio, nothing. Battery is good, checked battery cables and terminals with lil fuse tester and everything lights up green. When I was tightening a nut on the negative post the wrench slipped and made contact with the positive post with it still connected to the negative and some pretty good sparks happened. This was all before when I mentioned the car drove a couple times then suddenly the bs. What could be the freakin issue?? Thanks, ***** ***** long trying to be thorough
3/21/2018
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Normally when a battery is shorted like you have done, one or more fuses blow especially large main fuses around 120amp.

Are you sure the car was driving without a problem after you did this?

You should always be wary of the positive terminal while tightening the negative.

The postiive should always be fitted and tightened, before fitting the negative to avoid what has happened here.

Gary

Oh I'm very wary dealing with any electricity the wrench just slipped. I believe the highest fuse I have is 80a, for the battery. It's a 2004 mitsubishi Galant 2.4L. Yes it was running well after all that then just suddenly didn't. Like I said I checked all the fuses as well as the cables and terminals to the battery with that fuse tester and everything lit up green on it

What is happening now?

Is the engine light on while driving?

Gary

Nothing is ha now. The only light I get is the door-open dome light that's very dim and goes out when the door is open about a minute so I didn't even bother trying the headlights or anything, no radio. Odometer flickers and just scatters a bunch of unrecognizable jibberish then also goes out like the dome light
happening

Very strange it drove ok for some drives and now this.

Do you have a voltmeter to measure the battery?

Possibly you have no charging system working.

Gary

No, no voltmeter. Charging system repair sounds expensive

You need a multimeter for further testing.

Your little fusetester is no good for testing now.

It sounds like you have a flat battery now, and you need a multimeter to measure it's no load voltage, and then if jump start it with a another battery, then measure the battery voltage from the charging system.

Gary

Will do. Thanks much

I hope that makes sense to you for your next step

Come back if you need any further help.

All the best.

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician