Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My amp an sub woofer worked lovely but tended to dim the…

My amp an sub...

My amp an sub woofer worked lovely but tended to dim the headlights, didn't want to ruin the alternator so I picked up a capacitor an hooked it up, but after install everything powers up but get no sound, what would cause this? I'm dumbfounded

Mechanic's Assistant: Who makes your speaker or sound system?

The speaker is Infiniti an the amp is jbl an the capacitor is boss

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your sound system?

I used the voltmeter on the capacitor even though it has l.e.d. display just to make sure it's fully charged I've checked all my grounds thinking I may have a bad ground but got to thinking if the ground was bad it wouldn't power up so I thought about the fuses an figured the same thing if fuses were bad it wouldn't power up, the power light on the amp comes in an is the normal color that it should be when turned on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of, it was working great before the capacitor was hooked up an wondering if I should just go without the capacitor?

3/20/2018
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Have you tried using a short jumper wire and bypassing the capacitor at the connections? If so does it work then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mean by like bypassing the capacitor an just running power straight to the amp? If so that's what I'm getting ready to do, because it worked fine for the past 3 months I've had it an went to hook that up an got nothing

Yeah go ahead and do that and just make sure the amp is still capable of working. Could save you a lot of head scratching later. Let me know how that turns out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I've found my issue, an the one wire I didn't check was my speaker wire, it broke an so I guess I never really had a problem just trying to hook up the equipment in the dark!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for you're time though

LOL. No problem. Glad you got it figured out.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's working the way that it should, honestly it had me dumbfounded like why isn't it working I did everything right...lol yes will do thanks again for your help

No problem. Glad it was an easy one. I will be standing by if you need anything further but it sounds like you got it taken care of.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I got it taken care of an everything is working fine, but the headlights still seem to dim not near as much as they were before an the capacitor reads 14.3 when the truck is running, just wondering if that's normal cause I was thinking that the capacitor would stop the lights from dimming? Also I have a mechanical question about my 2001 Nissan Xterra I would like to ask cause I seen that you're an auto mechanic, this past winter I've had to use my 4x4 an now that I don't need it the 4x4 don't seem to want to disengage I've googled the problem an found out if you back up about 20 feet it'll disengage I tried that an went forward afterwards an it still seemed to want to engage an creates an awful like grinding noise could that be my hubs that needs to be replaced an if so is it best to replace both or just the one that's bad? An if only the one that's going bad how can I tell which one is the bad one? The noise is coming from the front drivers side

No problem. I can help with your other question but you will have to ask a new question. We are only able to do one topic per question. If you just put for Wayne in the title or someting I will get it, Thanks

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner