Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2009 sante fe needed an emmision test but the check

My 2009 sante fe...

My 2009 sante fe needed an emmision test but the check engine light came on, so I took it to the h\dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a timing chain. They changed the chain and i went to get the car and the engine light came on when I started it in the parking lot. They looked at the engine again and now they said the camshaft is broken, what is my recourse

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Hyundai?

Sante fe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I took it to the hyundai dealer so I woudnt have this problem.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

it is setting the same code as before ?

they said the cam is broken ?

how does it run other than the check engine light being on ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They didnt give me the code, just the check engine light was on . Yes when I saw the light was on again i told them I wouldnt take the car because they said after they changed the chain the light would go out. and the problem would be fixed. I also found out tafeterwards from another mechanic that the timing chains are designed to last the life of the engine, my car has 178,000 kms, The mechanics took the car back in the garage and looked at the engine agian and said the cam shaft was broken but I should drive it anyways It runs fine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My car is at the dealership in their garage

this engine will not run with a broken camshaft

they have no idea what they are doing

ask for all your money back since they did not fix anything or ask them to fix it for free

you paid for it to be fixed and i will bet its the same code set

if they will not give your money back go to the DMV and file a complaint and contact the BBB and file a complaint

you should get it fixed or atleast your money back and then have a real shop fix it for you

if if fact it has a broken cam they should have picked up on that during the repair and diagnosis of this issue

if you have any questions please ask

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is a hyundai dealership, thats why I took it there in the first place Should I contact the head office of Hyundai?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should they have replaced the timing chain? Does it last the life of the engine?

yes

and ask for your money back and go to another dealer or give them the chance to fix it for free or atleast take off the cost of the repair v/s the money that was already spent that did fix which they didnt

some chains stretch and go out of time but they didnt diagnosis it correctly since it has a bad cam which they should have found on the diagnosis

if you have any questions please ask

Gary
Gary, Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician