Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan. It had a loud clicking under my…

I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan. It had a loud clicking under my dashboard drivers side for a several months. Last fall the AC stopped blowing cold air. I replaced the blend door actuator and the clicking stopped. Still no cold air. Today no air comes out of the front vents. The windshield and floor vents work fine. It's getting hot so I need the AC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Their is no longer a noise since changing the blend door actuator about a month ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Titan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself. No money for a shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm thinking it is one of the 4 blend door actuators that are bad is why the air stopped blowing. I do not know how to diagnose the AC compressor to determine why it is not engaging.

3/19/2018
eric remington

n​ow you have a different problem...the mode control actuator is not working...would you like instructions on how to access that so you can take a look? does it blow out of both the defrost and floor simultaneously?

Is cold air coming out of bottom and defrost vents?

Is this automatic or manual hvac?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No cold air at all. Compressor is no engaging. The defrost and floor vents blow when on max AC but face vents do not as of yesterday. Which actuator is the mode control actuator? The actuator I replaced that was clicking was on the drivers side top.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just checked. The actuator I replaced is not working since I need to check it out when I get a chance. My main concern is figuring out why the AC compressor is not engaging and getting some cool air blowing. I work out of my truck and it's getting hot.

o​k you could have a component failure or not enough Freon or both....how much froen does vehcle take? do you have any gauges

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I added a can of coolant first thing but since the compressor isn't kicking in the gauge is probably wrong. It registers above the maximum on the gague. It took around 45 minutes for the line to take the can of coolant. I don't know what kind of hvac it has. The AC was working good when I turned off the engine, then the next time I started the truck a few minutes later, it didn't blow cold air. I noticed the cooling fan wasn't running so I unplugged it and jumped it. It works. I have not been able to find the plug to the compressor to jump it and check the compressor.

USE A TEST LIGHT AT TEH CONNECTOR AT THE COMPRESSOR

m​aking any headway or just haven't had the time?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I haven't had time to work on it yet. The blend door actuator I replaced last month has definitely stopped working. It started clicking today like it did before.

I​t could be the that the actual blend door that the actuator controls is binding or even frozen. free smooth operation of the door should be examined

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok. Thank you. Would that keep the cold air from blowing?

if the blend door is stuck frozen or binding then yes. Having said that if you turn on ac does compressor engage is the low pressure hose getting cold? if not then ac system is not working.. as well..

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Now we are back thmy original post. No, the compressor is not engaging. Their is no cold air. I checked the AC fuse. It is good. I even replaced it to make sure. How do I check the AC system?

​k you could have a component failure or not enough Freon or both....how much freon does vehicle take? do you have any gauges

I​ just reposted what I had said on the 20th...guess its been awhile for both of us lol

so you may have more than one issue. leaking frreon will prevent compressor from working...but there could be an electrical issue so do you have gauges?

we need to determine if any, som,e all of Freon is present. if no Freon or low Freon need to add and find leak..if ull of Freon need to find electrical issue or component issue...make sense

ok so if gauge is showing pressure then you need to get a test lite and see if you are getting power to compressor clutch

electrical power

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington