Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Can an auto mechanic create a 2018 Subaru Legacy key without…

Can an auto mechanic create...
Can an auto mechanic create a 2018 Subaru Legacy key without the original?
3/19/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. In order to do this, a locksmith will be needed. A technician will have to obtain a blank key from the dealer(or online). The security information for the vehicle, including the key cutting information and the programming code will need to be obtained. This will require a Locksmith ID. As long as they have the proper tools and security clearance, then yes. A key can be made.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. I don't need a key made for my car since I have the keys. I want to know if someone can illegally use an auto locksmith to get a key/key fob made for my car. I have called Subaru numerous times and they assured me an auto locksmith can't make a new key without the security ID code. I have the security code from when I bought the car and obviously so does Subaru. Subaru tells me the only way for a new key to be made is at a dealership and proof of ownership is required.Are you saying an authorized auto locksmith with security clearance can claim I need a new key so they can obtain one? Please clarify.

Subaru is telling you correctly. In order to obtain a security code, you will have to have a locksmith ID, that goes through NASTF. I doubt that someone will risk their freedom to obtain an extra copy of your key, due to the fact that whenever a code is requested, it is recorded what locksmith requested it. This is the reason for the Locksmith ID. You must enter that information for each and every request.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is NASTF? If I call Subaru would they be able to tell me if someone requested the code? It sounds like any auto locksmith could obtain a key without my knowledge but they would be recorded by subaru?

https://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3532

Above is a link for you to check out at your own leisure. You should be able to call subaru or nastf to get that information. As long as you can prove ownership of the vehicle. Also, just so that you know, in order to obtain a locksmith ID, extensive background and information check is done. Not anyone can get a locksmith ID.

If you have any further questions on this issue, please, do not hesitate to ask. Also, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called NASTF and the guy was confused that I was calling but answered my questions. Just like you said...he said there are protocols in place and an auto locksmith wouldn't risk their license for one transaction. He kept telling me to call Subaru and I eventually hung up.I called Subaru and the lady assured me of everything over and over again. She said there would be a record of my car going to a dealer but she doesn't have access to the details. What department in Subaru has access to those details?The NASTF guy said that an unethical dealer/retailer could potentially make keys and get paid under the table. I suppose anything is possible these days.
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician