Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2007 Caravan 3.8- I suspect I security system has…

I have a 2007 Caravan...
I have a 2007 Caravan 3.8- I suspect I security system has shut me down. the van will not turnover at all. The security light is red and solid, the airbag light comes on. I was stranded friday for 5 hour when it all of the sudden started. Well its stranded again. I've checked the starter relay, actually swapped it with others in the box.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

it won’t code on it’s on with the key! And it also has the airbag light on.

Thank you for that information. Are you able to get your hands on a scanner to plug into the data link connector?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I’ve used my small data scanner it shows nothing! Not sure if it good enough however. Cost only 50 bucks

So your scanner is able to communicate with the on board computer right?

It says no codes?

All of the gauges work on the cluster with the key on?

Yepper

Thank you for that information. Can you post your VIN for me?

2d4gp44lx7r220285

Thank you for that information.

Your first thing that needs to be done is check all fuses. If all fuses check out good, then this issue is most likely a faulty ignition key or SKIM/SKREEM module preventing it from starting. You can try to disconnect the battery cables from the battery and rub them together for 5 minutes as that may do the trick. If not, one of the modules on board the vehicle and or ignition key will likely need to be replaced to get you back up and running.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Besides the starter relay and asc relay, what other fuses do I check? I’ve pretty much pull everyone in the fuse box and viewed them all for failure

I would go through them all just to be sure. But if they are good and the security system is still tripped, this is likely an issue with the key and or security module on board the vehicle.

I’ve read so many horror stories on these issues! I have a used pcm. Would it be a good idea to swap it in and reprogram

Reprogram it for what reason?

To marry it to the key fob! ?

If the key fob or security module is faulty, reprogramming the PCM will not help.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Is there any way to test if there’re faulty

YES, this is done using the factory scanner.

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech