Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Power steering pump failed. My question is, When I remove…

Customer Question
Power steering pump failed...

Power steering pump failed. My question is , When I remove the reservoir cap it blew fluid out like a soda bottle that has been shook.. Is that just because of the pump failure ?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I have been watching the fluid level for a while and occasionally add fluid to the proper full mark on the stick.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2010 chev. Impalla 6 cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was fine yesterday when I parked for the night then this morning it was wining very bad and when I checked the fluid it was foamed up. and very dark almost red in color

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should be all.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
3/19/2018
Auto Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

That is exactly why you have pressure built up, when replacing make sure to do a good flush on the system and use 89021184 ac delco/gm fluid for the best results