Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Im recharging my a/c in 2001 outback h-6. I evacuated the…

Im recharging my a/c...

Im recharging my a/c in 2001 outback h-6

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

I evacuated the system. to put in new r134a. clutch was spining before i started. now im recharging loooks like high pressure on low side but pump is not running and dosent take any more r134a

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outback yourself? What have you tried so far?

I evacuated the system. now trying to put more freon

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Pump is not pumping

3/18/2018
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

How much have you installed?

Mabe 6 ounces still lots in the can

Sounds like you don't have enough in. Do you know how to jumper the AC relay to make the clutch run the compressor all the time with the engine running?

No how do I do that. And will that make it take more

The relay is here (click) at the AC relay position

You want to use a heavy paperclip to jumper from the #30 to the number #87 pin sockets of the relay. Do not guess on this. Those are the large copper colored pins on the relay. This will cause the compressor to run and you can slowly feed in the remaining refrigerant.

Let me know what further questions you have

Thanks

Ok looks like it's going in the can is getting cold how will I know when it's full

You add 22.3 ounces if the system was empty. If it is not then you recover what is in the system and add back 22.3 ounces.

Let me know how i can help

Seems like the cans are not all the way empty when I take it off the Car
still not tuning the Comte's see when I put the relay back
The Compressor

6 ounces is not "cans". Each has at least 12 ounces and some are 20 ozs.

You want to run the engine, jumper the relay pin sockets to turn on the compressor and run at 2000 rpm to remove the final bits from the can.

I found two leaky o rings at the pump. Starting over now

Ok, recover the whole system, see if it maintains vacuum for 30 minutes the charge with 22.3 ounces. Two cans should cover that

Ok

Let me know if I can help

If you have no further questions please complete the rating.

Thanks

With the leak keep the home from coming on

Sorry?

If you have a leak it must be repaired before you recharge the system.

Put in two cans pump is not pumping I toped it off with a third. Put the relay back in but the pump is not coming on by itself
The pump only comes on if I override it now
When the relay is in Thea/c doesn't work

The pressure switch must be closed for it to work. How much do you have in?

It took almost 3 cans now the receiver dryer makes a humming sound when it cycles so I started letting a little bit out

Why are you adding R134a? Do you know it was empty or just that it didn't work?

You can borrow a set of gauges to see how much pressure is really in the system. You local chain parts store may have them in their loan a tool program.

Is this an automatic temp system or manual controls.

Do the radiator cooling fans come on when you turn on the AC?

the cooling fans are working and I have a set of gauges I'll check the pressures it took about 27 ounces I think that's when you hook up the cans of it leaked out when you hooked it onto the insulation house but it is blowing cold
It's an automatic temperature sister the only thing is now the receiver dryer makes a little home when it cycles so I'm guessing it's a little too full

OK, that will give you an idea of what the pressure is. Too much and it will not run, too little and it will not run. It is impossible to give you a specific number but more than 80 and less that 325 it should be OK for pressure.

There are several reasons the controls will not allow the system to operate, if it sees the engine too hot or the outside temperature too cold it will not turn on the compressor.

Does the outside temp display on the controls? What does it show?

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Click here for procedure

That is the procedure to self test the system, run it and let me know what happens. If you need help with how to do it just ask after you have read it

Thank you so much you really helped me fix this fast!

OK, let me know if you have further questions