Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I recently had someone look at my drivers seat to replace a…

I recently had someone look...
I recently had someone look at my drivers seat to replace a piece of the the leather. Now I get an audible alarm when the car is moving. I get a DTC code that "lost communications with restraint system". I suspect the person forgot to connect the seat belt wiring or broke the wiring. Is there an easy way for me to check that?
3/19/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

I would start by looking under the seat and making sure all the connectors are plugged in and tight. If it's got an airbag in the seat it's possible there is a connection issue. Most use a yellow wiring harness and it's got a double lock on the connector. If it's not connected properly it could be the issue. If they damaged any wiring inside the seat you'll have to pull the seat and check the wiring by removing the cover. It's a real pita to do that.

Sorry for my late reply. I don't work Sunday's.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Thank you you. It turned out the problem was low batteries in the smart key. Apparently that sets off audible alarms that I thought were seat belt warnings.