Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Ted I want to change my fuel filter on my boxer 2.2 2005…

Second opinion] Hi Ted I...
Second opinion] Hi Ted I want to change my fuel filter on my boxer 2.2 2005 camper.I`ts the cassette screw- on type,is it simply unscrew the old one fill the new one with fuel and hand tighten it back up.Whats the drain for water/fuel or for purging the air.Theres a rattle coming from the bottom of it ,is this normal?
3/18/2018
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, the drain is to take a sample or drain water from the filter if need be, rarely used. The noise is from a small check ball in there that allows the filter to bypass in the event of a clog. The vehicle will still run, but poorly, giving an indication that the filter needs to be changed.

Is the air purged automatically ? When hand tightening has it to be murder tight with a bit of oil on the seals?

Yes, just run the engine off idle for 2 minutes or so to make sure any air gets pushed through without stalling. Yes, oil the seal and just get it good and snug by hand, not tool needed.

Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician