Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors per the codes…

Replaced both camshaft and crankshaft...
Replaced both camshaft and crankshaft sensors per the codes that popped up. Now the car runs great until it reaches normal operating temperature. Then very rough idle and hesitation. Wants to stall at dead stop while in gear.
3/18/2018
Clifton B.
Clifton B., Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be helping you today
What year and model is your car
Not where did you buy the sensors
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2006 Nissan Altima. Got the sensors at autozone and car was having trouble even starting before I replaced both. Now it starts fine just after reaching normal operating temp it runs rough again. I did rule out the MAF I think.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2.5L 4cyl
I recommen you remove the auto zone sensors and go to the dealer and get the sensors. The after market sensors are crap they do not work correctly I see this all the time .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I work for the US military in Korea. Not an option. The code for sensors is cleared and hasn't returned. Do you have any other options?
As long as you have the after market sensor in the car it will never be right
You need to find a way to get the oem sensors
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for absolutely zero help.
eric remington

ARE YOU STILL GETTING CODES?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The ses light came back on but it isn't the sensors. I'm going to try and find out today but I think it is the idle control valve or in this case the throttle body. Just wondering if it could be anything else as it seems very weird it only does it after reaching normal operating temp. Read somewhere that it might even be something with the cooling system. Advice?

y​es ck spark plugs/wires fuel filter air filter ck for vacuum leaks ck throttle body plates for dirty ck idle motor

feel free to keep asking questions but please rate me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Spark plugs, wires, and air filter all good. I'll check the others and get back to you. I'm a government civilian in Korea so early morning here. Will get back to you later tonight your time.

ok got you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. The current code is the idle air control valve and correct me if I'm wrong, it is part of the throttle body. Before I replace it, would that be causing my current situation or am I getting another false positive much like the Cam and crank sensors?

y​es...if the code has changed then perhaps its just another problem that could not be discovered until you fixed the last one. under hood temperatures get high especially in hot climate areas and electronic components do fail. so yes it is possible to have more than one existing problem. I always tell people it took a long time for this vehicle to get in this condition it may take some tome to get it aback to where it should be. One at to check the idle motor is if you can lightly apply the throttle and if it the idles and upon releasing throttle vehicle stalls means idle motor not doing its job. make sure you have no vacuum leaks, you are full of oil and coolant etc.if code is directing you to replace component then that's is what it needs do ck all connections for being correct and tight

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

eric remington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gave you the rating to get paid. It's not hot here but it does run great like new until it reaches normal operating Temps. I'm gonna double check the code tomorrow and get a full fuel system clean as well as check coolant levels. Any other suggestions?

yes that sound like idle motor or dirty throttle body plates...replace idle motor and clean throttle body put in fuel additives dry gas fuel injector cleaner to gas tank

I will keep page open if you need more help...Thanks for choosing Just Answer

external fuel filter? if so repalce

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question hopefully. Could dirty or bad oil cause a sensor malfunction?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fuel filter is integrated with the pump in the tank.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The code is crankshaft sensor. If that were the real issue would it be intermittent? I ask because the car runs great when cold

L​OW DIRTY OIL CAN CAUSE COMPRESSION AND PERFROMANCE ISSUES AND ENGINE WEAR ISSUES LEAKS ETC...YOU MAY HAVE A DEFECTIVE SENSOR AND OR A BAD CONNECTION OR A BAD PCM THAT IS RARE...CK ALL CONNECTIONS CLEAN TIGHT AND FREE OIL DEBRIS CORROSION ETC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did all that, so I'm gonna change the sensor.... Again and not that cures it. Also, gonna clean out the throttle body as best I can without messing with the butterfly much. Hope it helps and thanks for the help. I know a lot but always nice to have someone else to offer help or back up your thoughts on these things.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still can't understand why it runs great cold and starts when the engine is normal operating temp. It's baffling me.

W​ELL THINGS IN CARS TEND TO FAIL MORE IN HEAT...TRY ANOTHER BRAND....SAMLL POSSIBILITY ITS A PROBLEM IN COMPUTER ITELF AND MAKE SURE CONECTIONS CLEAN AND TIGHT AT SENSORS

H​EAT AS IN ENGINE HT NOT SO MCUH AMBIENT TEMPERATURE BUT VERY HOT AMBIENT TEMPS DO CONFUSE THE CARS TOO

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Would the car needing an idle relearn cause the issue I'm having? Changed both sensors to the oem parts and runs great for a while then starts bogging out although it seems to have a much better reaction time even when it's running like shit. Advice?

ok if you slightly open throttle does problem clear up?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Is much worse at lower rpms if that's what you mean. I'm starting to think it may be the throttle body itself or ecm but the funny thing is, the Ses cleared out but the car is still intermittently running rough.

I​F IT RUNS GOOD WITH THROTTLE CRACKED OPE N MEANS YOU DONT HAVE ENOUGH AIR COMING IN AIR VALVE ISNT OPENING ENOUGH

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
probably have to change the entire throttle body or is there something else I can do?

IT WOUD BE COMPLETGELY UNORTHODOX TO ***** PLATES SO MORE AIR COULD COME THRU I DINT SEE YOU DO THAT OH NO

NO GUARANTEES

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'm assuming by your response, replacing the throttle body would be my best option? I think it's narrowed down to either that or the ecm.
what you can do is turn a.c. on and measure at idle motor voltage change, as in a command to open idle valve farther open. If scanner available see if pcm acknowledges a.c. on
But yes if a.c. turn and it idles lower the n sounds like bad motor...but u can measure
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Turns out it's a bad MAF causing all my issues. Replacing it tomorrow. Will let you know if it works or not.

so​ what did you do to confirm this? tap on it? see unusual readings on scanner? curious

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Finally got my own scanner and pulled 3 codes. Random misfire, crankshaft sensor, and air idle temp sensor. Replacing the crankshaft sensor AGAIN and MAF tomorrow. Pretty sure the crank and everything else were secondary or false positives to the MAF. Good thing is that because I'm in Korea, the oem nissan parts are much cheaper. 50% cheaper. So oem crankshaft sensor and maf cost me $120 total together.

does the scanner give data?

when I have multiple codes I erase them and start vehicle and see which comes up first

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
4 codes actually.
20180328_065629.jpg2018032...jpg20180328_065625.jpg2018032...jpg20180328_065622.jpg2018032...jpg20180328_065615.jpg2018032...jpg
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Just treating the symptoms at this point. If maf and sensor don't do it I assume it's prob the ecm.

w​hat is air temp sensor reading now

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Well change of status. I feel like Dr house treating symptoms to get to the underlying problem. I'm changing the maf and coil packs tomorrow when the parts arrive. I honestly think that they are bad as I kept getting misfire on 1 and 3 and changed 2 and 4 with them then 2 and 4 popped so that may be the major issue or at least I hope so. Hard to get parts quickly for American Nissan here sometimes.

g​otcha well keep my posted on your progress

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Replaced all the coil packs, MAF, and new oem crankshaft sensor then did an idle reset and it purrs like a kitten now. Appreciate the advice and help. Take care.
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington