Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I did the brakes today, and now the parking break doesn’t…

I did the brakes...

I did the brakes today, and now the parking break doesn’t engage? The parks work fine it seems, they’re a little bit squishier then they used to be, but they work fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?

51,000 yes I think it’s the first break job as far as I know

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2015 Mazda 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and it’s mazda 6 not 2

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also it’s the grand touring model if that makes a difference. I use a c clamp to push the pistons back in, I think it may have rotated the pistons as it depresses them.
3/18/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Did the emergency brakes work before you did the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they worked just fine.

ok thanx for that info. then if they worked before then the cables and actuator should be fine, as you said you used a C clamp to push the pistons back into the cylinders? If so you may have damaged the calipers inside as the emergency applies through a threaded part to push on the piston and to push it back into the cylinder you should have used a special tool that turns the piston back in. please review the video I send and if you still have questions let me know.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you. Is there a way to tell if they’re damaged or not? Or which one it is?

Yes, just disconnect the cables at the calipers , have someone sit in the car and put them on and off. If the cables move in and out then you know its the caliper, also lifting the wheel off the ground if the wheel does not turn freely with brake on or it holds on when released it's bad.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician