Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have the same issue as this page: 2003 Honda accord: alarm…

Hello, I have the...

Hello, I have the same issue as this page: 2003 Honda accord: alarm system will not arm or disarm.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, I have tried reprogramming the key, but that doesn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's pretty much the same issue as this page, but there didn't seem to be an answer. Perhaps it's a sensor issue? Maybe a fuse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To recap: My 2003 Honda Accord EX coupe has an issue with the factory car alarm where pressing the key fob won't arm the system but will lock or unlock the doors. I also tested the system where I locked myself inside the car, and then opened the door from inside by pushing up the door lock and opening the door handle; I had thought that would trigger the alarm if the alarm was armed. I have tried reprogramming the key fob (insert ignition, turn on and off several times), but that doesn't seem to work, but did hear a beep which indicated the key fob was re-programmed. I opened the hood, but didn't seem to see anything unattached. I was also thinking perhaps a fuse was blown, but when viewing the fuse diagrams for both under the hood and under the dashboard, did not see anything that appeared to be the alarm.
Answered in 3 days by:
3/22/2018
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Disconnect the battery cables and hold them together for 5 minutes or longer. Reconnect the battery cables positive first then negative.

Also check all fuses with a test light. You can do this without removing the fuse. Turn the key on then Check both pinholes on top of the fuse. You should have power on each side of the fuse. This is a good way to quickly test all fuses without removing them.

You may need a scan tool that can scan all vehicle systems for codes. You might have a code stored in the security system that would help diagnose the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried the disconnecting the battery, connected the cables for 6 minutes, and reconnected them, with positive first. No luck.
I don't have a test light, so I ordered on through Amazon and it should arrive in the next few days; I will let you know if any fuses are blown.
I have a Bosche OBD2 scanner and it didn't bring up any codes. Is there another kind of scan tool?

Ok. That scan tool you have will only scan powertrain codes. You need a shop quality scan tool to scan other systems including the security system.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
My test light came in, and I tested all the fuses under the hood and inside the cabin; either both sides of each fuse lighted up, or neither side lighted up. Doesn't appear that it's a fuse issue...so the only thing left I can do is to bring it to a shop?

You need a scan tool that can access the body control module. You could have a faulty door switch.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit from the site unless you give a positive rating.
Do not give a negative rating (2 stars or less) please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!
5 star ratings are greatly appreciated!

Dan, ASE Master Technician
Dan, ASE Master Technician