Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1998 town &country mini van when you are driving…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 town &country mini van when you are driving along it lurches and shifts into a lower gear but wont shift back up causes the rpm to go way up

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The trans was rebuilt about 30,000 ago where is the brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried changing the insterment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed the dash cluster we thought that might be the problem because when it shifts down sometimes the the cluster will act strange gages will go bonkers and the shift indacator will light up all gears

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
3/17/2018
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

you have transmission issues. you need to have the computer scanned for transmission fault codes. a generic code reader will not accomplish that. it has to be done with a scan tool that has the capability of reading transmission fault codes. in the meantime have you checked the fluid level, color, and smell?