Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Battery in H2 dead and key is stuck in ignition. But I don't…

Battery in H2 dead...

Battery in H2 dead and key is stuck in ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No, but I don't drive the vehicle that often, it sits under cover so occasionally it will drain dead

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your H2?

2005 and I have charged it up before but not changed it. Probably original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything. I just went to go start it and make sure the battery is getting a little charge since I don't drive it.Hit the unlock on key and it barely unlocked. Put key in and it got stuck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

3/17/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

This has a key lock solenoid that won't allow the key to come out if the battery is dead. If you jump it or charge the battery you will then be able to get the key out without a problem. It's common with the dead battery. It must be very dead for the solenoid not to work, it only needs 12 volts.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

ok thank you, ***** ***** try to jump it

You are very welcome!
Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Did the jump start resolve the issue for you or do you need more help?

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician